NICU Respiratory Therapist
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The NICU Respiratory Therapist provides and administers all aspects of Respiratory Care therapeutics and equipment as stated in the Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
***This is a night shift (overnight) position.
A day in the life of a NICU Respiratory Therapist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Participates as the primary or secondary NICU rotation therapist.
- Attends all high-risk deliveries in Labor & Delivery as part of the NICU team.
- Assists in the Neonatal resuscitation & all respiratory support needs as per NRP in stabilizing the neonate and transport of patients needing NICU admission.
- Assists in transporting NICU patients; pertains to the Neonatal Transport Team which conducts internal and external Neonatal transports as part of the Neonatal Transport Team to neighboring hospitals & our affiliations for all Respiratory NICU external transports.
- Assists in all neonatal intubations & resuscitations.
- Maintains all neonatal invasive & non-invasive airways.
- Administers Surfactant Therapy prescribed by the physician and monitors lung compliance changes after administration.
- Sets up and monitors transcutaneous monitor.
- Responds to and participates in all cardio-respiratory arrests (CODE BLUE), and ensures that there is adequate airway management and ventilation.
- Sets up, verifies proper operation, operates and monitors all Neonatal ventilators including but not limited to the following: Servo-I, Oscillator, SIPAP, High Frequency Jet Ventilator, Puritan Bennett, Drager, Transport Ventilators, and Neonatal/Pediatric MRI vent.
- Participates in the management of the ventilated patient by recommending appropriate changes based on x-rays and blood gas results and weaning studies.
- Performs capillary and arterial punctures and all A-lines for blood gas samples as ordered, operates blood gas analyzers, records and reports results to physicians. Runs quality controls on Blood Gas Analyzers.
- Records all pertinent information of therapeutic procedures and patient response on the Respiratory Care Record and Patient Chart.
- Set up and monitors Nitric Oxide Therapy.
- Administers therapeutic Respiratory Care procedures and sets up related Respiratory Care equipment as prescribed by the physician.
- Transfers all pertinent patient information to the incoming therapist at shift report.
- Changes ventilator circuits in accordance with the Infection Control Policy of the Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Participates in a rotational On-call system to assure adequate staffing and departmental functioning.
- Changes and monitors oxygen, Nitrous Oxide and Nitrogen manifolds throughout HackensackUMC.
- Retrieves, cleans and assembles Respiratory equipment.
- Performs work related functions in an environment that could result in exposure to patients with infectious diseases, disinfecting solutions and cleaning agents, needles and other typical Respiratory Care situations.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
- Performs other work as requested by the Director or his/her designee.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- 1. High School graduate.
- 2. Graduate of an AMA approved Respiratory Care program or equivalent.
- 3. Comprehensive knowledge of Respiratory Care Department Policies and Procedures including specifically in the NICU.
- 4. Comprehensive knowledge of all clinical aspects of Respiratory Care.
- 5. Clinical experience through an AMA approved Respiratory Care program and relevant employment as a Respiratory Therapist.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- 1. NJ Registered Respiratory Therapist Certificate or NJ Certified Respiratory Therapist.
- 2. AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- 1. NJ Registered Respiratory Therapist Certificate.
- 2. Neonatal/Pediatric Respiratory Care.
- 3. Neonatal Pediatric Specialty Certification.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.