Medical Records Analyst
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Medical Records Analyst's main function in accordance with hospital policy and/or regulatory standards is to evaluate information for accuracy, timeliness, completeness or appropriateness of requests for information.
A day in the life of Medical Records Analyst at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Physician's Incomplete Area:
- Reviews the entire patient record, outlining all deficiencies in accordance with NJDOH, JCAHO, and Medical Staff rules and regulations.
- Enters deficiencies into computerized deficiency system with a 98% accuracy rate which includes selecting the correct medical record and the responsible physicians.
- Performs re-analysis of records and physicians complete them assuring information satisfies regulatory requirements regarding content.
- Insure all complete records are entered into the computer system and entries are updated as physicians complete their areas of responsibility.
- Reinstates physicians daily removes physicians from withdrawal of privileges list.
- Operations Area:
- Accounts for receipt of inpatient and outpatient records post discharge or encounter.
- Creates folder, barcode and enters records in tracking system.
- Creates not received list and communicates with nursing and ancillary staff to resolve status.
- Determines patient status for billing and refers per Administrative policy to Utilization Review for determination.
- Communicates with Admission Services Center or the Emergency Room when patient status transfers are necessary and insure appropriate status prior to coding.
- Daily, prepares discharge statistics and e-mails to appropriate personnel. (Raw data) Monthly complies final statistical accounting and routes to distribution including Administration.
- Performs merge functions as necessary.
- Performs pre-screening functions for coders and CDA's.
- Performs quality checks for scanned images.
- Copy Medical Records.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Verifies accuracy of and makes necessary corrections to patients' names, medical record numbers, physicians' name and locations of patients and monitors and corrects data-flow errors in CQuence, ChartScript and Lastword.
- Interacts with outside service to identify patients/information for ADT match and to provide updates on available work load.
- Monitors supplies and orders appropriately.
- Monitors and makes corrections to CQuence system according to communication with transcriptionists, physicians, other personnel.
- Provides copies or faxes transcribed reports to physicians or their offices as appropriate.
- Maintains physician ID numbers in CQuence.
- Monitors and corrects interface and works TMI error log.
- Ensures synchronization of databases by reviewing and applying changes/updates consistent with the Master Patient Index.
- Reviews records in accordance with legal guidelines.
- Determines the necessity for patient authorization and follows up with requestors as needed.
- Fulfills request on a priority basis by date of request and impact of information on patient care.
- Routes records to the copy service noting urgent requests. Attaches appropriate forms to requests, chart and copy service when chart is incomplete.
- Follows up if urgent copies are not processed by the copy service in a timely manner.
- Notifies physician in writing and by phone when requested records are incomplete.
- Follows up with incomplete requests in a timely manner to assure chart completion for response to requests.
- Enters all requests into ChartRelease accurately and timely and updates actions as appropriate.
- Answers telephone rings within three rings identifying self and the department.
- Responds professionally and informatively to inquiring party.
- Advises supervisor or situations requiring follow-up.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational and Managerial Competencies.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Computer literate.
- Experience in health care or related field.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Knowledge of medical terminology
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.