Lead Nuclear Medicine Tech
Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Lead Nuclear Medicine Tech, under the direction of a qualified radiologist, performs a variety of technical procedures that requires moderate independent judgment, ingenuity, and initiative in the utilization of radio-nuclides for the diagnosis and therapy of disease in humans.
A day in the life of a Lead Nuclear Medicine Tech at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Provides immobilization devices as required.
- Selects and operates nuclear medicine equipment as directed.
- Develops film by automatic processing.
- Labels and transfers images to PACS.
- Provides protection for self and the patient in accordance with prescribed safety standards.
- Prepares and administers radio-pharmaceuticals to the patient.
- Delegates areas of authority in the performance of routine or special procedures.
- Performs specific areas of instruction of student technologists and ancillary personnel.
- Performs radio-nuclide procedures on patients, inclusive of organ imaging, function studies, and assisting the physician in the therapeutic use of radioisotopes under prescribed safety conditions.
- Prepares radioactive tracer compounds for patient use.
- Calibrates equipment and assays radio-nuclides.
- Receives, inspects, and opens radio-pharmaceutical packages.
- Performs necessary surveys and wipe tests. 14. Performs necessary computer processing associated with patient studies.
- Maintains adequate records of radioisotope receipt, use, storage, and disposal in accordance with state and federal regulations governing the accountability for radioactive materials, and maintains other records as directed.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness, including provisions for contamination-free conditions of rooms, equipment, and personnel.
- Secures and returns supplies.
- Assists in the coordination of staff schedule and coordinates patient flow.
- Assists in the training of new technologists and students.
- Assists in the development of techniques for procedures.
- Assists in the use of a variety of equipment and procedures not routinely employed.
- Performs work related functions in an environment that could result in exposure to radioactive materials, and continual use of needles and syringes.
- Performs all other physical requirements of the job as defined by the department director including continual standing and walking, and lifting and moving of patients and equipment.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School diploma, general equivalency diploma (GED), and/or GED equivalent programs.
- Graduate of an approved school of nuclear medicine technology, registry or registry eligible.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Minimum 3 years of Nuclear Medicine experience.
- Continual education in nuclear medicine technology.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Nuclear Medical Technologist License.
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.