Lead Biorepository Technician
The Lead Biorepository Tech is responsible for performing tissue bank related work and assists with basic and translational research related to biomarker discovery. The job requires using scientific knowledge, approaches and methods that frequently involve tissue banking-related experiments requiring monitoring and analyses throughout the day and properly managing processing of prospective and retrospective patient tissues. The job requires processing and banking tissue, including identification, archiving, storage, retrieval and shipping of tissue specimens (solid and liquid). Patient samples arrive late in the afternoon or early evening; thus, the team member will need to manage their time to suitably finish processing and banking of the samples by coordinating with other staff and back up scientific staff in the laboratory. Sophisticated testing technology is employed within appropriate quality control parameters. This position involves administrative duties on various parts of the day. This role will report to the site manager of the Biorepository.
1. Assists the site Mgr, Biorepository and Dir, Biorepository in planning and implementing objectives for the Biorepository.
2. Assists the site Mgr, Biorepository and Dir, Biorepository in overall development, training, motivation, and performance appraising and counseling of personnel in the Biorepository.
3. Coordinates with Pathology and the clinic for handling, procurement and processing of human specimen.
4. Ensures the accuracy and review of all Biorepository equipment assuring quality control measures are performed, recorded and maintained according to standards.
5. Documents equipment malfunction: takes appropriate corrective action when instruments, refrigerators, or freezers function improperly.
6. Performs calibrations and maintenance with minimal supervisor intervention documenting 100% of the time.
7. Demonstrates the ability to identify instrument problems and handles troubleshooting and documentation according to SOP. Notifies site Manager.
8. Maintains the care and function of laboratory equipment.
9. May perform payroll functions and finance assistance when needed.
10. Participate in the orientation, training, and in-service education of new and existing personnel in the Biorepository.
11. Perform all computer system functions necessary to achieve the timely registration, ordering, testing and storage of data for the Biorepository project. 12. Assists in developing appropriate work distribution schedules to include daily work, holiday and weekend schedules.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Bachelor's degree.
2. Minimum 3 years tissue handling experience in a laboratory or clinical setting.
3. Excellent computer and analytical skills (Excel and word) and ability to learn to use the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) database. Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Master's degree.
2. Graduate level training on bioscience discipline.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.