Inpatient Medical Coder Certified
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Review clinical documentation and diagnostic results as appropriate to extract data and apply appropriate ICD codes for billing, internal and external reporting, research, and regulatory compliance with State and Federal guidelines. Under the direction of the Coding Compliance manager, accurately assigns inpatient diagnostic and procedural codes according to the ICD Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting and abstracts coded discharge data into the computer system according to UHDDS guidelines. Reviews DNFB reports and identifies issues. Assists in design and implementation of workflow changes to reduce billing errors when applicable. Utilizes the coding query process to providers to request missing information and/or discrepancies for clarification of documentation for accurate assignment of ICD codes and DRG assignment.
A day in the life of an Inpatient Medical Coder, Certified at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Accurately and promptly reports all issues relating to workflow of coding and abstracting to supervisor.
- Attends staff meetings, in-service programs, reads coding clinics and other educational materials, and incorporates into daily work functions.
- Maintains good organizational skills and is detail- oriented.
- Ensures the confidentiality of patient information and strictly adheres to all guidelines and policies regarding the confidentiality of patient information.
- Assigns ICD-10-CM codes for diagnoses, treatments, and procedures according to the appropriate classification system for inpatient encounters.
- Reviews appropriate provider documentation to determine principal diagnosis, co-morbidities, CC/MCC and secondary conditions and surgical procedures.
- Extracts required information from source documentation and enters into encoder and abstracting system.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and adheres to official coding guidelines. Assigns and sequences ICD-10-CM according to UHDDS guidelines.
- Utilizes technical coding principals and MS-DRG reimbursement expertise to assign appropriate ICD diagnoses and procedures.
- Assigns present on admission (POA) value for inpatient diagnoses.
- Identifies non-payment conditions (HAC) and when required, report through established procedures.
- Appropriately identifies charts with coding issues for discussion with supervisor.
- Reviews documentation to assign, correct patient discharge disposition.
- Codes and abstracts into 3M & HCS a minimum of 21 - 23 inpatient charts per day
- Maintains a 95% DRG accuracy level.
- Maintains, updates, and provides consistent follow-up of all outstanding charts listed on the DNFB Report.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School Diploma or Equivalency, Courses in Medical Terminology, Anatomy & Physiology, ICD-10-CM and CPT coding.
- Minimum of 2-3 years Coding and DRG experience in acute care setting.
- PC literate.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Certified Coding Specialist - CCS.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Registered Health Information Administrator - RHIA.
- Registered Health Information Technician - RHIT.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.