HVAC Mechanic I
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The HVAC Mechanic I performs air conditioning repair, maintenance, and installation tasks in all hospital HVAC Systems.
A day in the life of a HVAC Mechanic I at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Perform maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs on pumps, cooling towers, air handlers, compressors, freon A/C units, and high capacity chillers.
- Maintains all A/C testing equipment and tools in good condition. Responsible for shop neatness.
- Responsible for repairs, improvements, and installation of new HVAC systems which will require lifting and manipulation of equipment, tools, machinery, etc.
- Utilizes electrical and mechanical tools, hand tools, ladders, scaffolds, lifts, gauges, meter, etc. to perform required work.
- Observes all gauge readings, pressure, temperature, flow, and vacuums while on duty and records accurately all such valves in the Power Plant Log.
- Responds to the daily requests for HVAC services and assists the coordinator in keeping records of work orders.
- Able to operate computerized building automation systems.
- Under supervision must be able to survey existing equipment and develop designs and solutions for repair and improvements.
- Performs other duties of Plant Operations as required.
- Reads blue prints/ specifications on hospital HVAC systems and equipment.
- Install ductwork and HVAC equipment.
- Calculates quantity of material needed and requests supervisor to order necessary supplies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Trade or Vocational High School plus courses related to the air conditioning field.
- Successfully completed on-the-job training for HVAC Mechanic in industry or hospital.
- 3-5 years in related work.
- Will work on all types of refrigeration including high capacity chillers.
- Have experience in troubleshooting of pneumatic controls, including valves, thermostats etc. and their interconnection with computer control system.
- Have experience in testing and troubleshooting of computerized controls for HVAC equipment, including air handlers, absorbers electric chillers, compressors, valves, pumps, etc.
- Stands, walks, lifts, carries, pushes and pulls material and equipment weighing up to 80 lbs.
- Works on ladders or in ceiling cavities.
- Works inside and outside of hospital and may stand on wet surfaces and be exposed to ambient conditions.
- Works on rotating shifts and/or as scheduled by supervisor.
- Must be able to work on unscheduled emergency repairs.
- Universal Refrigeration Technician Certification.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Certification from a Tech School on air conditioning is desirable.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.