Director of Quality Science
How have YOU impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Director, Quality Science for the Children's Care Transformation Services leads the Hackensack Meridian Children s Health enterprise in applying implementation science methods to the design and execution of research and evaluation of projects encompassing quality, patient safety and performance improvement. Projects undertaken will support the achievement of HMH strategic priorities. This position will employ mixed quantitative-qualitative designs, identifying factors that impact uptake across multiple levels, including patient, provider, clinic, facility, organization, and often the broader community and policy environment. This role helps to build organization-wide participation in improvement through transparency, collaboration and mutual learning. The Director, Quality Science directs and conducts implementation research and leads educational curricula which will enhance team member's understanding and capacity to engage in quality science and sustain and disseminate successful initiatives throughout the Children's enterprise. The Director, Quality Science will deliver a range of implementation-related support for evidence-based improvement and innovation, and provide leadership on project(s). Reporting to the Children's CTS Physician-in-Chief, the Director, Quality Science collaborates with local and network leaders to achieve HMH quality goals.
A day in the life of an Director of Quality Science at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Participate in identifying strategic priorities and opportunities for Hackensack Meridian Health Children's CTS to support annual and strategic quality, patient safety and performance improvement goals.
- Oversee and direct implementation science activities across Hackensack Meridian Health Children's CTS.
- Direct implementation research to address key issues in quality, patient safety and performance improvement.
- Collaborate with other HMH research centers on improving methodological rigor of the design and conduct of quality, safety and performance improvement projects and implementation science.
- Use existing data sets, review of literature and other data sources to generate evidence and support implementation activities and dissemination of successful initiatives across the Children¿s enterprise.
- Lead the effort to obtain American Board of Pediatrics designation as a MOC Pediatric Portfolio Sponsor with authority to approve quality improvement projects and submit the names of participants to the ABP for MOC Part 4 credit.
- Support quantitative and qualitative research, synthesis, dissemination and use of new knowledge within projects across the Children¿s Enterprise in the HMH network.
- Develop or direct the development of innovative and creative solutions to research problems, questions, and issues using or extending state-of-the-art methods.
- Support the development of timely research reports and assist in the dissemination of results to diverse audiences to build knowledge for the program/project, country and wider international field.
- Collaborate to ensure use of appropriate methodologies and relevant tools to achieve rapid cycle improvement (i.e. PDSA, FMEA, reliability science, bundle science, process flows).
- Supervise the planning, organization and implementation of implementation science meetings, including consultative meetings, workshops and technical review panels.
- Represent and present on scientific findings and experience in quality and patient safety research programs and implementation science at national and international professional meetings and conferences.
- Develop products for translating research findings for implementation purposes for both peer reviewed journals, policy briefs, tools and other final products as appropriate.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- MD, PhD or DNP with experience in interdisciplinary health services, operations, and/or implementation research.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in health services, technical support, and/or applied research activities with significant international experience in resource limited settings.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in patient safety and quality.
- Advanced training in implementation science, such as a masters of health science or fellowship training in research methods.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to guide complex projects in challenging environments.
- Ability to interpret strategy, to analyze, develop and present work and to monitor and evaluate implementation of programs.
- Knowledge of health services research and evaluation methodologies, program design, and implementation.
- Strong interpersonal communication and excellent oral communication skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of partners and in a team environment.
- High degree of judgment, maturity and originality.
- Willingness and availability to travel.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- HRO experience.
- Mastery of performance improvement and implementation methodologies.
- Highly collaborative leader.
- Academically productive.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Valid Medical Doctor license.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.