Certified Respiratory Therapist (Part-Time)
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Certified Respiratory Therapist under the supervision of the Director of Respiratory Services, Technical Supervisor, Shift Supervisors, provides and administers all aspects of Respiratory Care Therapy and supportive equipment as stated in the Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
A day in the life of a Certified Respiratory Therapist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assists in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of all patients with pulmonary disorders in both critical and non-critical areas pursuant to a prescription of a licensed physician.
- Performs cardiopulmonary evaluation, monitoring, respiratory therapy treatment techniques, respiratory procedures and patients and family education.
- Responsible for the acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data obtained from physiological specimens, performing diagnostic tests, studies and research of the cardiopulmonary system and neurophysiological studies related to respiratory care.
- Administers and/or monitors medical gases, mechanical ventilation support, artificial airway care, bronchopulmonary hygiene, pharmacologic agents related to respiratory care procedures, and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation related and limited to respiratory care.
- Utilizes the application of scientific principles for the identification, prevention, remediation, research, and rehabilitation of acute or chronic cardiopulmonary dysfunction.
- Administers therapeutic Respiratory Care procedures and sets up related Respiratory Care equipment as prescribed by the physician.
- Records all pertinent information of provided therapeutic procedures and patient response in the electronic medical record system, EPIC.
- Sets up, verifies proper function, operates and monitors all invasive and non-invasive respiratory equipment on patients in need of respiratory assistance.
- Participates in the management of patients on life support systems by recommending and performing appropriate changes based on blood gas results and weaning studies.
- Responds to and participates in all emergency and trauma codes.
- Oversees the clinical performance of Certified Respiratory Care Technicians to assure clinical compliance to department policies and procedures.
- Changes and maintains ventilators, ventilator circuits in accordance with the Infection Control Policy of the Department Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Runs quality controls on blood gas analyzers.
- Monitors and changes all manifolds, including but not limited to emergency oxygen, nitrous oxide and nitrogen manifold cylinders.
- Retrieves, cleans and assembles all respiratory equipment using disinfecting solutions and cleaning agents in accordance with infection control protocols.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, and primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Lifts a minimum of 35 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 165 lbs. and stands a minimum of 6 hours a day.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational competencies.
- Performs other work as requested by the Director or his/her designee.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Graduate of an AMA approved Respiratory Care program; Associate's Degree
- Comprehensive knowledge of all clinical aspects of Respiratory Care
- NJ Respiratory Care Practitioner License
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification
- NJ Certified Respiratory Therapist
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.