Central Supply Tech Apprentice
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Central Supply Technician Apprentice is responsible for the cleaning, disinfecting, processing, and sterilization of surgical instrumentation, patient care equipment and reusable medical/surgical items. This position also assembles Case Carts for the Operating Room.
A day in the life of a Central Supply Apprentice at Hackensack Meridian Health can be described as follows:
- Receives, sorts, disinfects, processes, assembles or sterilizes both patient care equipment and surgical instruments according to established departmental policies and guidelines following instructions for use.
- Understands all detergents and disinfectants used to process items. Implements both Universal Precautions and proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (P.P.E.).
- Operates and loads sterilizers (Steam and Hydrogen Peroxide) and assures biological tests and Bowie Dick tests are correctly performed, incubated, read and recorded.
- Ensures sterilization records are completed correctly by recording all items processed, making sure the correct label/load gun is used, reading and interpreting chemical integrator per load, observing and initialing all computerized print outs for accuracy.
- Adheres to correct use of computerized instrument count sheets, and utilizes tracking system throughout reprocessing.
- Prepares case carts for delivery to room by using doctor's preference information to assemble required instruments, and special equipment.
- Communicates with OR team members and provides customer service to all units requiring Central Processing services.
- Lifts a minimum of 50 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 60 lbs. and stands length of shift.
- Ability to work with bioburden and grossly contaminated items on a regular basis.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Participation in a Central Processing Course, or 1 year experience in instrument processing preferred.
- All applicants will be required to participate in Hackensack Meridian Health's Central Processing Technician Apprentice training program.
- May work weekends.
- May be required to work three (3) out of six (6) holidays.
- Work rotating schedule/shifts based on needs, and days off if working a scheduled weekend.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Medical field background preferred but not required.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- National Certification: CRCST or CBSPDT to be obtained within 9 months of hire.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.