Cardiac Surgery Physician Assistant Per Diem HackensackUMC
The Cardiac Surgery Physician Assistant assists, monitors, and manages the day-to-day needs of patients as requested by, in conjunction with, and under the supervision of a physician.
1. Obtains a details and accurate history, and identifies problems and presents information to the supervising physician. 2. Orders or prescribes medication subject to the following: no controlled substances; the order or prescription is administered in accordance with protocols or specific MD directions; the prescription states whether it is written in accordance with a protocol or specific MD directions; the physician's assistant signs his/her own name and license number, as well as the supervising physician. 3. Assists a supervising surgeon in the operating room when a qualified assistant physician is not required, and a second assistant is deemed necessary by the supervising surgeon. 4. Assists supervising physician in a procedure room when a qualified physician is present and it is deemed that a qualified assistant physician is not needed. 5. Writes post operative/post procedure note and orders for supervising physician. 6. Performs line as a 'first line' person responsible for all the post procedure management of patients as requested by the primary physician. 7. Starts IVs, inserts foley catheters and nasogastric tubes, irrigates foley catheters, orders transfusions of blood and products, venipuncture, and debriedments. 8. Participates in research trails collecting, aggregating and entering data. 9. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.). 10. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Successful completion of an approved physician's assistant program, accredited by the AMA Council on Medical Education.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. New Jersey Physician Assistant License.
2. Certification by the National Commission for Certified Physician's Assistants (NCCPA) within one year of initial employment by the Medical Center.
3. Two (2) years cardiac surgery experienced required
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.