Apprentice Boiler Engineer
Helper / training to learn how to Fires Boilers and controls generation of the required steam demand for heating Hospital Buildings, Absorption Units, Sterilizers and Auxiliary Equipment. Operates absorbers, chillers, cooling towers, boilers, pumps and water treatment equipment. This is a three year Apprenticeship program to create a full time shift engineer knowable to operate the central utility plant.
1. Assist operator to equipment needs in the Power Plant. Maintains safety of equipment in and around the Power Plant. Repairs and lubricated equipment by performing such duties and assigned. Keeps Power Plant floors in a clean and safe condition.
2. Observes all gauge readings, pressure, temperature, flow, and vacuums while on duty and records accurately all such values in the Power Plant log. Records any and all acts while on duty in the Power Plant Log. Log sheets are checked daily for information by the Operating Engineer.
3. Cleans Boilers, burners, repairs and lubricates equipment as required.
4. Reports any unusual conditions or malfunctioning of Power Plant equipment in the Power Plant Log.
5. Utilizes electrical and mechanical tools, hand tools, ladders, scaffolds, lifts, gauges, meters, etc. to perform required work.
6. Trains on how to operates maintains and repairs chillers, absorbers, cooling towers, pumps compressors, and all other equipment located in boiler room as required for generation of steam, hot water, and chilled water.
7. Trains on how to clean the cooling towers, strainers and conduct routing procedures related to the water treatment.
8. Trains on how to maintain temperature and pressure of the utilities generated in the Power Plant as required for most economical operation of H.V.A.C. equipment.
9. Performs other duties of Plant Operations as required.
10. Looks for and removes all fire hazards from the Power Plant while on duty.
11. Trains on all tests relating to the Boiler Feed Water. Adjusts chemical feed treatment to maintain Boiler Feed Water within proper limits.
12. Assure safe and environmentally prudent operation of Power Plant in accordance with Governmental Guidance Codes and Regulations.
13. Willingness to work with an operating engineer at night. Works under the engineer on shift while performing duties on all shifts.
14. Lifts a minimum of 80 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 80 lbs. and stands a minimum of 8 hours a day.
15. Reads and practices the State of New Jersey Boiler Safety Act.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High School diploma
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. After employment, employee has 1 year to obtain New Jersey High pressure black seal license.
2. Within the second year employee must obtain a New Jersey Blue seal.
3. Within the second year employee must also obtain universal refrigeration certification.
4. By the third year employ will be evaluated to be elevated to a shift Boiler Engineer.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.