Animal Technician Specialist
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Animal Technician Specialist will assist with the conduct of highly specialized and technically complex experiments using small animal models (rodents and rabbits) of infection with various bio-safety level 2 and 3 pathogens and providing technical support for the BSL-3 Labs. Studies will be carried out in Animal Biosafety Level 2 (ABSL-2) and Animal Biosafety Level 3 (ABSL-3) facilities and focus on infections via aerosol, intranasal, intraperitoneal, intravenous intradermal and subcutaneous routes; intraperitoneal, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous injections of rodents and other small animals with therapeutics and/or anesthesia; necropsy to isolate the organs; evaluate tissue burdens; isolation of single cell suspension from infected tissue.
A day in the life of Animal Technician Specialist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assist with performing various research and technical operations relative to ongoing projects to bacterial, fungal and viral pathogens (Evaluation of therapeutics, development of novel diagnostics and studies in pathogenesis and virulence).
- Assist with preparation of BSL-2 and BSL-3 pathogen cultures.
- Assist in analysis of host immune response using Flow cytometry and other immunological methods
- Perform other laboratory analytical assays such as real time PCR, ELISA and western blots.
- Set-up, maintain, sterilize, and decontaminate the devices for aerosol infection, homogenizer, and other equipment.
- Autoclave waste materials and clean biosafety cabinets and equipment.
- Understands and adheres to HMH CDI compliance standards.
- Keeps abreast of all pertinent federal and state regulations, laws and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant science or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in work with animal infection models under Biosafety level 3 containment.
- Experience in infectious diseases.
- Basic knowledge in Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry.
- Good organization and record-keeping skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical.
- Must retain clearance to work with HHS Tier 1 Select Agents and be enrolled in the Select Agent Program Personnel Reliability Program.
- All candidates must enroll and be given clearance by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Criminal Justice Information Services Division (CJIS) Security Risk Assessment.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- CDC approved for work with select agents.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science Management Certification.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.