How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Anesthesia Technician assists the Anesthesiologists with intraoperative patient care through maintenance of equipment and supplies. The Anesthesia Technician applies principles of infection control and safety including proper handling, cleaning, sterilizing, and disposal of equipment or supplies used in regular and contaminated cases.
A day in the life of an Anesthesia Technician at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assists anesthesiologists in the Operating Room and prepares medications, IV solutions and transducers as per protocol.
- Prepares and assists the Anesthesiologist for the insertion of the arterial intravenous lines, central venous pressure lines, and Swan Ganz catheters using sterile technique under the supervision of the anesthesiologist. Assists the Anesthesiologist with induction of anesthesia and introduction of lines.
- Draws blood sample from the femoral line and performs cardiac output test.
- Responsible for cleaning and performing daily system checks and routine maintenance checks on 52 anesthesia machines. Completes the daily startup leak test and assures the anesthesia machines and equipment is operational before the start of each case.
- Notifies the Anesthesia Technical Coordinator when monitoring equipment is not functioning properly.
- Stocks and orders anesthesia supplies maintained in storage areas
- Acts as liaison between the OR, SPD, and Pharmacy assuring the availability of all supplies and drugs.
- Ensures that after all procedures, remove supplies, used equipment, syringes, and needles to designated area.
- Assist Anesthesiologist on all Cardiac Procedures Set up IV's as requested. Medications from the pharmacy need to be primed and set up on the Alaris pump with the specific medication and dosage
- Set up transducer for arterial/venous pressures
- Set up Swan-Ganz catheter and Cardiac Output monitor
- Set up the sterile tray for central lines
- Attach all patient monitoring devices include
- Pulse oximeter, EKG leads, BIS and Somanetics sensors.
- Assist the anesthesiologist with induction/intubation
- Assist the anesthesiologist handing off lines while they are gowned and inserting central lines/Swan-Ganz catheter
- Draws blood gas samples and performs cardiac output
- Documentation and uploading of patient/TEE data to the hospital database to provide all supporting staff access to vital TEE studies 10.Cath Lab (6 operating rooms)
- Drug trays picked up from the pharmacy daily and exchanged in all rooms Rooms cleaned, stocked, and set up according to scheduled cases
- Maintain stocking supplies
- Assists the anesthesiologists per request on the following cases :
- Hybrid ablation procedures
- EP 7 has a supply cart for anesthesia which has 2 drug trays from the pharmacy
- Maintain EP lab 8 with regards to MRI safety protocols
- L&D ( 3 operating rooms)
- Maintain stocking supplies
- Medication from pharmacy ordered, picked up, and stocked in workroom Maintain the 3 epidural supply carts for the birthing rooms
- Maintain the 3 spinal supply carts for the C-section rooms
- Maintain C-section Room 3 as the COVID/emergency room
- Daily turnover and stock the 3 c-section rooms 12.MRI / 1 Link ( 1 operating room)
- Turnover and stock the anesthesia machine
- Setup room with regards to either adult or pediatric case
- Have the necessary supply cart brought from the OR for the case Pick up medication tray from the pharmacy
- Maintain this room with regards to MRI protocol
- The remaining Operating Rooms maintained
- Endoscopy / 5 Conklin (1 operating room)
- Center for Ambulatory Surgery (10 operating rooms)
- Cosmetic/Reconstructive surgery, ( 2 operating rooms) Endoscopy Room 813
- Special Procedures 1 Link
- Cat Scan 1 Link
- Ultrasound 1 Strawbridge
- Radiation Oncology St. John basement Cardiology 5 Main
- Cat Scan room 112 Heart Center CAS room 200
- Required Certifications and Annual Competencies
- TEE Reprocessing Competency
- TEE Leak Testing Competency
- ACT (Activated Clotting Time) Competency
- Room Turnover Competency
- Glucose Training
- Hemocue Calibration Training
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.).
- This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.)
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Advanced training in a hospital setting in other allied health professions.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Experience in a health care settings, OR or Critical Care.
- Knowledge of sterile technique, asepsis, and ability to apply such skills.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Certified Anesthesia Technician or Certified Anesthesia Technologist.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.