Advanced Practice Nurse II
The Advanced Practice Nurse II performs the role utilizing the patient-centered coordinated care model demonstrated through the following competencies: leadership, direct clinical practice, consultation/collaboration, coaching/guiding, research, and ethical decision making.
This position is for headache-neurology department.
Essential Generic Job Functions (List in order of importance):
- Participates in decisions affecting APRN practice and in opportunities to advance nursing practice within the institution.
- Primary responsibility for outpatient care for headache patients with up to one day per week devoted to the care of multiple sclerosis patients or those with other neurological diseases.
- Performs procedures for headache management, which include but is not limited to Botox injections.
- Provides excellence in the patient experience through modeling Service Excellence Standards.
- Communicates a shared vision with the department of patient care and the department of specialty practice.
- Participates in APRN interviewing, credentialing, and peer review process as requested.
- Participates in a minimum of one professional specialty organization.
- Supports the nursing blueprint by providing evidence of practice outcomes.
- Displays support of the institutional pillars through systems management, change management, and scholarly practices.
- Ensures consistency with HackensackUMC nursing protocols, standards of care, and accomplishment of disease specific quality indicators.
- Provides 24/7 patient care coverage.
Evidence-based Practice (direct clinical practice)
- Applies evidence and value-based practices to achieve positive outcomes for patients and families.
- Utilizes the International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD-3) to diagnose various headache disorders and facial pain syndromes.
- Evaluates patient/family transition of care planning for resource utilization, cost, quality, and promotion of self-management for chronic health maintenance.
- Demonstrates clinical expertise by utilizing advanced assessment and leadership skills.
- Completes medication reconciliations.
- Completes annual APN peer review.
- Evaluates current protocols and standards of care for translation of “best practice” into clinical practice.
- Provides culturally diverse and educationally appropriate health management education.
- Supports organizational and department of patient care strategies through annual professional cascading goals.
- Coordinates the development of evidenced-based practice protocols and standards of care that include interventions and treatments to achieve desired outcomes.
- Aligns practices with the organizational pillars.
- Analyzes patterns of variance in practice and makes recommendations for evidence based practice changes to improve patient outcomes.
- Serves as a clinical resource to nursing staff, patients/families, and other multidisciplinary team members across the continuum to evaluate complex patients and identify appropriate interventions and evaluation of outcomes.
- Identifies practice gaps and initiates practice changes supportive of evidence-based practice “best practices” with nursing staff within area of practice and population.
- Participates in policy/procedure reviews for updating with current evidence-based and value-based practices
- Acts as a resource to staff for addressing clinical, process, and system opportunities for improvement, which promote excellence in care and clinical outcomes.
- Serves as a member of organizational and departmental meetings, work-groups, and committees as requested representing APRNs and/or the department of patient care.
- Builds credibility with medical staff as nursing experts for patient care, quality of care, and the profession of nursing.
- Collaborates with medical staff leaders to support nursing-led protocols to enhance the nurse’s ability to function at their highest level of education and skill applying “lean” system and change management principles.
- Acts as a mentor for APRN and graduate students of other disciplines.
- Acts as a clinical resource for evidence based practice.
- Identifies educational needs of patients/families and collaborates with other multidisciplinary team members to implement appropriate teaching materials.
- Coaches nursing and other disciplines on applying evidence-based and value-based care.
- Participates in enhancing RN practice, applying expert clinical skills, through staff RN patient rounding and making recommendations for improvement in inter-shift “hand-off” communications for assessments, nursing quality indicators, and core measure assessments.
- Facilitates, coordinates, and participates in formal or informal nursing educational programs as clinical experts.
- Creates a shared vision for patient and family-centered care by applying shared governance concepts to engage staff and other disciplines in decision-making.
- Promotes a collaborative work environment which supports the organizational mission, behavior expectations, values, and pillars (quality, people, finance, growth, and service)
- Utilizes and disseminates relevant research findings through clinical practice, education or consultation.
- Promotes innovation within clinical practice by seeking opportunities to bring new clinical knowledge into practice.
- Actively engages in research as a primary investigator or co-investigator.
- Acts as a mentor and or reviewer for research proposals.
- Disseminates research findings to enhance the practice of nursing by participating as presenters at conferences locally, nationally, and internationally and through publications.
- Identifies ethical care issues and coordinates interdisciplinary collaborative meetings to resolve those issues.
Contacts: Regular contact with Medical Center personnel, patients and visitors.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required
- Master's degree.
- Experience in relevant patient care setting or as regulations dictate.
- Maintains clinical competencies through participating in continuing educational programs (contact hours per years), and clinical practice as mandated by Board of Nursing and national certification body.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred
- Graduate of an NLN/AACN accredited program in nursing
- Current valid NJ State Professional Registered Nurse license.
- Maintains certification as APN in New Jersey.
- Maintains National or Board Certification as appropriate in area of specialty.
- In collaborative agreement with physicians on staff, fulfills terms of collaborative agreement.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.