Vice President, Team Member Labor Relations & Employment Counsel
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our team members are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care and coaching each and every day. Through the comprehensive care we provide, we are confident that you will be able to apply your skills while building your career within New Jerseys premier healthcare system.
Reporting to SVP, HR OPs & Team Member Relations, General Counsel, Labor & Employment (“SVP”) and this position will develop, deliver and maintain a business-focused team member relations, labor relations, and absence management strategy within the network in order to maximize business results and maintain a productive work environment. In addition, provides legal advice and support on legal issues and projects affecting the Hackensack Meridian Health Network and its affiliates including but not limited to handling of labor and employment arbitrations, EEOC matters and DOL hearings and audits.
Team Member and Labor Relations
Lead a team of directors, managers and specialists responsible for providing advice and counsel to resolve team member issues, including disciplines, complaints, grievances and investigations network-wide. Responsible for providing guidance on and directly handling employee relations matters with a focus on balancing business need and organizational risk, assisting in the design of employee related policies that are compliant with Federal and State laws and align to best practices, managing escalated regional complaints, and cultivating a positive and productive work environment. In addition, provide support pertaining to issues involving employee complaints, leaves and accommodations, discipline, terminations and organizational restructuring initiatives. Partners with management and local union leadership to maintain, enhance and optimize union relationships in support of business goals. Ensures compliance with all Federal and State laws and regulations, CBAs, HMH policies, Joint Commission and other regulatory requirements as indicated.
Labor and Employment Counsel
Advises all departments concerning labor matters, employment litigation, corporate, transactional and regulatory related legal matters. Reports to the SVP on issues involving company legal issues, labor relations, litigation, human resources, benefits and other appropriate issues. Manages all labor and employment arbitrations, EEOC matters and DOL hearings and audits. Prepares legal documents involving labor relations, employment issues, employment litigation and joint ventures. Manages labor grievances and arbitrations as governed by various collective bargaining agreements. Provides legal analysis for HR and its affiliates involving new laws, rules and regulations. Monitors new developments and assists in compliance efforts. Provides legal counseling and representation for HR, its affiliates, and various boards and committees on various matters, including bylaws, rules and regulations.
Absence Management Office
Lead a team of directors, managers and specialists overseeing the strategic direction and execution of the HMH Absence Management Program, which includes leave of absence and disability management, and return-to-work and ADAAA accommodation programs. Responsible for the administration of the HMH Paid Time Off (PTO) Program, Extended Sick Leave (ESL), and vendor management.
A day in the life of a Vice President, Team Member Labor Relations & Employment Counsel at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
1. Acts as the key point person to respond to team member policy questions, provide clarification on code of conduct, processes, and communicate policy updates to the appropriate audience.
2. Develops, implements and administers the Team Member and Labor Relations programs by interpreting the network's policies, recommending corrective action and performance management.
3. Serves as subject matter expert for the handling of all labor/management issues including Union grievances and collective bargaining agreements.
4. Provides consultative expertise on Employee relations matters.
5. Educates and advises business leaders and HR professionals in aspects of positive employment practices.
6. Leads the analysis, design, development, implementation, administration and monitoring of a competitive, cost-effective and comprehensive Integrated Absence Management Program.
7. Responsible for ensuring the Absence Management program is in compliance with all legal requirements of the various benefits plans; strong knowledge of all aspects of FMLA, ADA, state leave and disability laws, COBRA,
HMH leave policies, accommodations and return to work processes.
8. Designs and enhances team member related policies that are compliant with Federal and State laws and regulations. Stay abreast of all relevant changes to such laws and update policies to ensure compliance with the same.
9. Investigates and resolves employee complaints, grievances and coordinates with the local HR teams. Such investigations may involve complaints and may include recommendations for disciplinary actions as well as proactive course correction.
10. Manages labor grievances and arbitrations governed by various collective bargaining agreements. Manages government agency matters and filings including but not limited to the labor and employment arbitrations, EEOC and DOL. Assists with employment litigation management.
11. Manages the tracking of all collective bargaining agreements throughout the network. Manages and/or assists with the negotiation process of all collective bargaining agreements.
12. Partners with local HR teams regarding restructure and reorganization initiatives and works with Legal and Benefits to prepare appropriate documentation.
13. Partners with management and local union leadership to maintain, enhance and optimize credible union relationships in support of business goals.
14. Responsible for the administration of the Paid Time Off (PTO) Program policies and procedures; including PTO, ESL, Holiday, Jury Duty, Bereavement time.
15. Oversees all PTO/Absence Management processing and related payroll processing, including the uploading of vendor file feed data into the PeopleSoft to assure accurate data for team members.
16. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to interact with a range of personalities and styles and establish effective relationships of all levels of the organization.
17. Advises supervisory personnel on employment issues relating to multiple areas including discipline, FMLA, ADA, discrimination and harassment.
18. Prepares legal documents for HMH and its affiliates involving labor relations, employment litigation, human resources, benefits and joint ventures. Documents are accurate and timely prepared according to department standards. Supports various risk management activities, including subpoena requests and privacy issues.
19. Conducts sensitive investigations regarding harassment and workplace misconduct by team members.
20. Demonstrates strong Leadership and influencing skills. Clear thinker, with ability to quickly identify root causes of problems and develop creative and strategic solutions.
21. Ensures highest level of customer service and responsiveness throughout the Leave of Absence and accommodation process with team members, managers, our local HR teams and 3rd party entities involved in the LOA process.
22. Provides legal analysis for HMH and its affiliates involving new laws, rules and regulations. Monitors new developments and assists in compliance efforts. Analysis is accurate, timely and presented according to department standards. Legal advice is provided on a proactive basis. Maintains organizational compliance with all federal and state labor and employment laws.
23. Provides legal counseling and representation for HMH, its affiliates, and various boards and committees of the organizations via oral and written communication and preparation in meetings and court hearings.
24. Demonstrates fiscal responsibility in the creation of the budget, budget-related decisions and successfully meets or exceeds budget performance targets.
25. Maintains a strong knowledge of current trends and best practices both in healthcare and non-healthcare industries to drive strategies and recommend modifications and/or new programs.
26. Designs and provides a wide array of training programs for managers, supervisors and team members.
27. Maintains and updates as needed, all vendor contracts, Summary Annual Reports, Summary Plan Descriptions, Plan Documents, Plan Amendments, Form 5500s and all documentation relative to absence management benefit compliance requirements.
28. Works in collaboration with the Human Resources team, as needed. These duties may include but are not limited to:
a. Resolving employee disputes, conducting investigations and disciplining team members.
b. Assisting with the creation of performance management and human resource policies and procedures
including discrimination policies.
c. Conducting Civil Treatment sensitivity training.
29. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
30. Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Juris Doctor is required. An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline is required.
2. Minimum 8 years of experience as an attorney practicing labor and employment law and litigation. Experience with a wide variety of health law and other legal issues related to the operation of a health system is preferred.
3. Minimum 5 years in direct management role Strong labor experience, including negotiating contracts.
4. Strategic thinker knowledgeable on best practices for an Employee Relations function.
5. Relevant experience conducting formal investigations involving all levels of interaction and providing appropriate recommendations to senior business leaders.
6. Excellent knowledge of all state and federal employment laws.
7. Experience in conflict resolution methods, including facilitation and mediation of agreements.
8. Able to work under minimal supervision and to handle complex issues and problems independently with referring only the most complex issues to higher-level staff.
9. Driven to deliver results. Demonstrates a sense of urgency to achieve measurable outcomes. Is known for getting things done. Balances conceptual vision with tangible accomplishments. Drives ideas into action.
10. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
11. Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. Must have a current license as an attorney in the State of New Jersey
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
1. Human Resources certification
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.