Teacher Assistant - Part-time
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Teacher Assistant is responsible for assisting the classroom teacher with the day to day operations of the classroom, including assisting with the instruction of students. Must assist the teacher with a wide variety of tasks relating to the teaching-learning process and student assessment in addition to providing nurturing care and attending to student's physical needs. Assist with carrying out duties in accordance to specific program policies, guidelines, and curriculum standards. Solve problems through expertise judgment aligned with early childhood best practices and licensing regulations. Work is generally performed under the supervision of the classroom teacher, supervisor, assistant director, and/or director/principal; assume responsibility for the classroom in the absence of the teacher and other duties as required. Must be able to lift 40 - 50 pounds.
- Provides support to the lead Teacher in implementing both long and short range activities in accordance with educational component plans, curriculum objectives, developmentally appropriate practices and program philosophy.
- Participates and conducts one-on-one activities with small groups of children during instruction and lesson review.
- Actively participates in all activities with the children throughout the day.
- Guide children who need extra support to complete tasks.
- Willingness to follow instructions and work in a supporting role.
- Exercises open and respectful communication with families, team members, supervisors and other center staff.
- Work collaboratively with families, team members, supervisors and other center staff.
- Devoted to building a nurturing learning environment that fosters appropriate skills and social attitudes in the children.
- Helps to maintain a safe and healthy environment within the guidelines established by the Office of Licensing.
- Maintains and meets educational requirements as it relates to the NAEYC Accreditation Standards and Criteria.
- Maintains and meets all required licensing requirements for the Department of Children and Families-Office of Licensing.
- Encompasses knowledge and understanding of Grow NJ Kids Rating System, Criteria and Applications.
- Contributes information to the children’s anecdotal records and child’s developmental needs.
- Participates in lesson plan review, team meetings and learning environment communication sessions.
- Attends and participates in professional development, meetings and conferences.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies, job competencies and standards of behavior.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Minimum of 1 year of experience in a child care setting or related field. Advanced degree also
accepted in lieu of the experience requirement.
3. A talent for fostering children's appetite for learning.
4. Creative and resourceful, combined with strong planning and organizational skills.
5. Demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills, as well as comprehensive
knowledge of classroom activities and teaching methods.
6. Genuine interest in children and respect for their individuality.
7. The ability to establish positive relationships with families and other professionals.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
1. Two or more years of experience working in an early childhood setting.
2. Continuing education to receive an Associate Degree in early childhood or related field
1. Must maintain Pediatric First Aid/CPR AED certifications and active NJCCIS registry within 30
days of hire (NJCCIS – New Jersey Child Care Information System for early childhood
professionals serving children birth through age thirteen).
1. Child Development Associate Certification(CDA)/Child Care Professional Certificate (CCP) in
early childhood or related field (or pursuing).
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.