- Requisition # 2023-138870
- StatusTemporary without Benefits
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
This is a 10-week externship program offering nursing students an opportunity to earn while learning. Students are oriented and provided training in specific skills. Under the direction of a registered nurse partner, student nurses practice selected skills and gain confidence in the nursing environment.
Externs are placed at one of the Hackensack Meridian Health hospitals. Current employees of Hackensack Meridian Health who meet the eligibility criteria will be considered first. This externship program is available at the following Hackensack Meridian locations in New Jersey:
- Hackensack University Medical Center (Hackensack)
- Palisades Medical Center (North Bergen)
- JFK University Medical Center (Edison)
- Bayshore Medical Center (Holmdel)
- Riverview Medical Center (Red Bank)
- Raritan Bay Medical Center (Perth Amboy)
- Old Bridge Medical Center (Old Bridge)
- Carrier Clinic (Belle Mead)
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center (Neptune)
- Ocean University Medical Center (Brick)
- Southern Ocean Medical Center (Manahawkin)
This special student nurse extern (SNE) program will begin on May 28, 2024 and end on Aug 3, 2024. All applications must be submitted by February 29, 2024.
The Student Nurse Extern (SNE) provides direct patient care under the direction of the RN professional to all assigned patients, and maintains a safe patient area. He/she assumes responsibility and accountability for patient care as a team member in order to achieve established outcomes.
- Performs assigned components of assessment in an ongoing and systematic manner focusing on physiologic, psychosocial, and cognitive status.
- Performs data collection and documentation of I&O, vital signs, weights, and reports these and/or significant changes.
- Provides hygienic care, positions patients, pre/post-operative care, post mortem care, ambulating, and meals.
- Provides a safe patient environment by answering call lights promptly, communicating with the RN immediately for any change in patient's condition.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Working Conditions: Lifts a minimum of 5 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 10 lbs. and stands a minimum of 6 hours a day.
- You must be currently matriculated in a Board of Nursing approved BSN program or an HMH affiliated Associate Degree program to prepare for registered nurse licensure and be eligible to begin the final (senior) year of the respective nursing program. (Graduating in the Fall/Winter of 2024 or Spring/Summer of 2025).
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) required. Current matriculation in a Board of Nursing approved program to prepare for Registered Nurse licensure required.
- Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher strongly preferred.
- Ability to work varied days and varied hours.
- In order to be considered for this program, you must first complete your online application with resume and upload your transcript when creating your profile to apply.
- American Heart Association BLS required.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
Start ExploringSee the area you’ll be working in and get an idea of what your daily routine around the office can be like. Learn More
Awards We’ve Received
US News & World Report 2023
- HUMC - #1 Hospital in NJ & #5 in NY Metro Area
US News & World Report 2023
- Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital - #1 Children’s Hospital in NJ
US News & World Report 2023
- JSUMC - #6 Hospital in NJ
2023 & 2022 Magnet Designations
for 9 HMH Institutions
Newsweek 2022 Best Hospitals USA
- HUMC - #57
Newsweek 2022 America’s Best Addiction Treatment Centers
Blake Recovery Center at Carrier Clinic - #2
Diversity Inc. 2023
Top Hospital and Health Systems
Becker’s Hospital Review 2022
- Top Places to Work in Healthcare
JOBS FOR YOU
You have no recently viewed jobs
Medical Assistant-Oncology Medical SpecialistHMH PHYSICIAN SERVICES, INC. Avenel, New Jersey
Security Officer- FTHMH CARRIER CLINIC INC Belle Mead, New Jersey
Intake Specialist- Per Diem- EveningHMH CARRIER CLINIC INC Belle Mead, New Jersey
House Supervisor- Behavioral Health- P/T, E/O WeekendHMH CARRIER CLINIC INC Belle Mead, New Jersey
WE KEEP GETTING BETTER
At Hackensack Meridian Health, we help our patients live better, healthier lives – and we help one another succeed. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how our team members support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we’re ready to transform health care and advance our mission to serve as a leader of positive change.
From roles that are right for you to new opportunities, join our talent community and stay up to date with job openings and more.