The Labor and Employment Counsel Role provides legal advice and service on legal issues and projects affecting the Health Network and its affiliates. Advises all departments concerning labor matters, employment litigation, corporate, transactional and regulatory related legal matters. Reports to the SVP, HR Operations and Labor Relations, Associate General Counsel on issues involving company legal issues, labor relations, litigation, human resources, benefits and other appropriate issues. Prepares legal documents involving labor relations, employment issues, employment litigation and joint ventures. Manages labor grievances and arbitrations as governed by various collective bargaining agreements. Provides legal analysis for HR and its affiliates involving new laws, rules and regulations. Monitors new developments and assists in compliance efforts. Provides legal counseling and representation for HR, its affiliates, and various boards and committees on various matters, including bylaws, rules and regulations.
Manages labor grievances and arbitrations governed by various collective bargaining agreements. Manages government agency matters and filings including but not limited to the NLRB, EEOC and DOL. Assists with employment litigation management.
Manages the tracking of all collective bargaining agreements throughout the network. Manages and/or assists with the negotiation process of all collective bargaining agreements.
Prepares legal documents for corporation and its affiliates involving labor relations, employment litigation, human resources, benefits and joint ventures. Documents are accurate and timely prepared according to department standards. Supports various risk management activities, including subpoena requests and privacy issues.
Provides legal analysis for corporation and its affiliates involving new laws, rules and regulations. Monitors new developments and assists in compliance efforts. Analysis is accurate, timely and presented according to department standards. Legal advice is provided on a proactive basis. Maintains organizational compliance with all federal and state labor and employment laws.
Provides legal counseling and representation for corporation, its affiliates, and various boards and committees of the organizations via oral and written communication and preparation in meetings and court hearings.
Manages and/or assists in the recruitment, development and supervision of team members. Creates and sustains an environment that fosters team member engagement. Establishes clear objectives tied to department and/or organizational strategic goals. Coaches, counsels and evaluates performance of direct reports.
Track, analyze, and report on relevant data and metrics as needed and/or requested. Develop, recommend and/or implement actions or process improvements as appropriate.
Complete all other assigned duties and projects in a timely fashion.
The ideal candidate specializes in labor and employment laws, provides legal assistance to both employees and employers and has experience in as many of the areas outlined as possible.
- 7 - 10 years of experience as an attorney practicing labor and employment law and litigation. Experience with a wide variety of health law and other legal issues related to the operation of a health system is preferred.
- Juris Doctor is required. An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline is required. Must have a current license as an attorney in the State of New Jersey.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Able to work under minimal supervision and to handle complex issues and problems independently with referring only the most complex issues to higher-level staff.
- Driven to deliver results. Demonstrates a sense of urgency to achieve measurable outcomes. Is known for getting things done. Balances conceptual vision with tangible accomplishments. Drives ideas into action.
- Thrives under pressure. Enjoys delivering to tight deadlines, and is energized by the opportunity to solve complex problems. Manages diverse stakeholders with ease, and brings calm sense of purpose to his or her direct reports.
- Puts team and organization first. Operates without ego to move the organization’s agenda forward, and unfailingly supports colleagues, peers, and team members.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and/or mentoring to a subordinate group.
- Energizes and inspires others. Brings a positive approach to every endeavor, and motivates others to go above and beyond expectations. Brings a sense of humor, fun, and a light touch.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.