The Physician-in-Chief, Hackensack Meridian Health Neuroscience Services and Chairman of Neuroscience leads and oversees the physician services component of the HMH Neuroscience care transformation service line and serves as the physician executive of Neuroscience to ensure that short and long-term objectives are achieved in accordance with the approved neuroscience strategic plan of the network. Working in conjunction with other leaders throughout the network (Regional Presidents, CHEs, etc), this individual will help organize, lead, and where appropriate, increase physician and business partnerships designed to develop an effective neuroscience value-based continuum of care environment with exceptional clinical and financial outcomes.
At present, this individual will maintain 16 hour/wk of clinical responsibility and 24 hours/wk. of administrative responsibility. This may be subject to change in the future as this position evolves.
Network Neuroscience Services
- Provides vision, leadership, organization and creativity in the direction of the Neuroscience CTS. The Neuroscience Physician in Chief collaborates with leadership of the SOM to support the Neuroscience related mission of the SOM.
- Works in partnership with leaders throughout the network on all clinical neuroscience and neuroscience associated health venture matters.
- Assists in managing the margin, cost, and service for the Neuroscience consults with each facility/entity, in the development and management of mutually approved neuroscience budgets for related revenues, expenses and capital across the continuum.
- Supports management of revenues and expenses in relation to the established budgets; monitors budget variances and implements corrective actions when necessary.
- Assists in the collaborative development, implementation and on-going management of the operating and growth plans of the Neuroscience CTS.
- In collaboration with executive, CTS and School of Medicine leadership, identifies and acts on growth opportunities, product development, competitors, and other stakeholders to advance such opportunities.
- Supports the day-to-day financial and operational aspects of the development of new clinical programs and the establishment of Neuroscience CTS strategy and goals.
- Ensures operations, administrative integration and coordination of systems and service initiatives across the Neuroscience CTS continuum.
- Assists the Neuroscience CTS and School of Medicine leadership teams in the management of administrative and operations relationships and enforces policies and guidelines relating to supportive processes, technology and resources assuring adherence to evidence-based care pathways and
- In collaboration with the Neuroscience CTS Leadership team, supports and monitors service quality outcomes through use of the balanced scorecard, identifying opportunities for implementation of clinical standards by using established, evidence-based practices, for value-based care delivery across the
- Supports coordination and partnership for operations and financial issues with HMH executive leadership, individual facility leaders and Neuroscience CTS leadership team to achieve service line goals. Supports the assessment of new technologies and innovative approaches to care delivery, assuring patient access to leading edge treatment. Provides financial and operations guidance on equipment and supply selection.
- Maintains active leadership status and collaboration with payer strategies, finance, strategy and senior leadership; supports development of risk-based payment models for services.
- In collaboration with network and Neuroscience CTS and School of Medicine Leadership, assists in the financial and operational support development and expansion of research capabilities and access to leading clinical trials, to enhance care to the community. The Neuroscience Physician in Chief collaborates with leadership of the SOM to support the Neuroscience related mission of the SOM.
- Ensures that appropriate resources and/or materials are available to support development of strategy; advances and supports recommendations put forth by Neuroscience CTS, the School of Medicine and Executive Leadership.
- Implements select strategies as charged by the Neuroscience CTS Steering Committee and School of
- Supports the establishment and monitoring of metrics and outcome measures to achieve best practice through the network. Supports achievement of US News and World Report rankings, CMC Star Ratings, Leapfrog, Healthgrades and national quality, safety and patient experience metrics (i.e., HCAHPS).
- Leads meeting discussions, as appropriate, and ensures that protocols are satisfactorily followed. Obtains status updates as needed and monitors progress between meetings.
- Identifies resource gaps or delays in the planning process and rectifies as appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with all internal and external regulatory agency requirements.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration and teamwork, with a dedication to patient care and quality outcomes.
- Ensures a high level of staff engagement to ensure that the Neuroscience CTS and School of Medicine teams operate in a “Best Place to Work” environment.
Neuroscience specific responsibilities:
- Directs HMH Neuroscience overall clinical activity (surgery, medicine, research) across the network through local/site leadership, i.e., Medical Director.
- Oversees inpatient clinical neuroscience care services, outpatient clinical neuroscience programs, neuroscience center clinical and basic science research initiatives and assignment of all physicians and team members.
- Develops and executes innovative strategies designed to deliver value-based care, maintain and improve operational margins.
- Creates and implements joint venture partnerships where appropriate with other neuroscience care providers, particularly physicians and grows the geographic neuroscience care coverage of Hackensack Meridian Health through partnerships and mergers.
- Assists in HMH Neuroscience annual budgeting process and all cost savings and margin improvement
- Assists in the implementation of all approved value-based neuroscience healthcare initiatives.
- Provides strategic input to HMH marketing/public relations/advertising division for all neuroscience center related activities.
- Serves as the physician executive and subject matter expert for all Neuroscience clinical and basic science research.
- Oversees Neuroscience teaching program for team members and visiting faculty.
- Supports and assists in fundraising and grant development activities.
- Responsible for the executive oversight of quality design, quality control and quality improvement of Neuroscience across the HMH network.
- Responsible for the executive oversight of establishing and maintaining ongoing physician relationships with regional, national and international experts in the field of neuroscience, including neurology, neurosurgery and all subspecialties within each.
- Assures maintenance of standards recommended and required by regulatory agencies.
- Attends monthly Chief meetings.
- Attends quarterly Goals meetings.
- Attends Neuroscience Board meetings.
- Requires an M.D. and Board certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties.
- A minimum of 10 years progressive experience in an executive leadership position for a major hospital, hospital system and/or private and public healthcare/biotechnology companies, with 10 years in a leadership position at a VP level or higher.
- Academic rank from a University.
- Documented experience in obtaining patents, I.P. licenses and management of Technology transfer
- Documented peer reviewed publication record.
- Governance and management experience in private and public healthcare/biotechnology companies.
- Documented experience in raising private and public capital.
- Documented experience in entrepreneurship.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (respected and approachable by team members, physicians, board members and community members).
- Experience with mergers and acquisitions along with creating alliances.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with team members at all levels in the organization and outside the organization.
- Strong financial management skills.
- Strong strategic planning skills.
- Political acumen.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.