- Requisition # 2023-138371
- StatusPart-time with Benefits
Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Patient Care Technician functions as a caregiver for a specific patient population in order to achieve desired outcomes.This position focuses on expanding knowledge and skills, provides effective direct and indirect care as part of the interdisciplinary team to a variety of complex patients. Under the direction and supervision of the registered nurse, patient satisfaction, comfort and safety. Assists with a variety of patient, unit and environment-related tasks. Participates in patient safety initiatives.
JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute (JRI) is a major component of one of the most comprehensive health care networks in New Licensed by the state of New Jersey as a Comprehensive Rehabilitation Hospital, the Johnson Rehabilitation Institute is accredited by both the Joint Commission and Committee on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) in the Inpatient Rehabilitation Adult Program, Inpatient Rehabilitation Adult Brain Injury Specialty Program, Stroke Specialty Program, Interdisciplinary Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Adult Brain Injury Specialty Program, and Comprehensive Vocational Evaluation Services. JFK Johnson offers 94 inpatient beds in a separately licensed hospital that is attached to JFK Medical Center.
A day in the life of Patient Care Technician at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Provide patient care, based on physical, psychosocial, education, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the guests/patients served in assigned service.
- effective and safe guest/patients outcomes through practice, judgment and critical actions 3. Ongoing communication with patients, nursing colleagues and other members of the health care team regarding patient's status and rendered care.
- Take self-directed or self-motivated initiative to do more than is expected or required in the job, acting before being required to by events, improving job performance, and/or creating new opportunities.
- Participate in interdisciplinary collaboration of our patient's plan of care from admission to discharge to ensure safe transitioning and continuum of care.
- Participate in Unit/Department Performance Improvement [PI] activities Specific Job Functions may include but not limited to:
- Welcomes patients and checks for proper identification bracelets.
- Prepares the patient for assessment/admission, physical examination and procedures.
- Recognizes and responds to opportunities to enhance patient satisfaction.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care appropriate to of patients on the unit.
- Obtains clinical data, temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, O2 saturation and documents findings in patient record and notifies RN immediately of abnormal results.
- Draws intravenous or capillary blood from newborn through geriatric aged patients using proper aseptic collection techniques, assure appropriate labeling and processing of specimens to expedite throughput of patients.
- Performs venipuncture for laboratory tests.
- Demonstrates a reliable and dependable ability to follow through with designated responsibilities in the collecting, labeling, and transporting of specimens to the proper area at the appropriate time: always correctly labels type of specimen collected, including patients name and room number.
- Performs EKG for patients as directed.
- Assures the presence, functionality and cleanliness of all necessary equipment. Checks and maintains code cart, O2, and other emergency medical equipment as directed.
- Applies bandages, slings, compression boots and hypothermia blankets according to standard as directed by RN.
- Assists in the transport of to departments or units upon request.
- Assists with preparation as necessary assuring the patient is assisted with meals/ or fed as needed.
- Checks inventory of assigned area and restocks as directed.
- Ensures room environment is prepared for admission.
- Provides direct hygiene and comfort care to patients including bathing, toileting, oral hygiene, incontinent care, and bed making.
- Assists the patients with dressing/undressing and placing patient belongings in the appropriate bag labeled with completed property checklist. Monitors the return of clothing to of .
- Performs and documents glucose finger sticks and collects other specimens as directed.
- Provides care.
- Obtains and documents patient weights and observes and documents patient's intake and output.
- Provides a safe patient environment by answering call lights promptly, communicating with the RN immediately for any change in the patient's condition.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs not limited to (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Completion of one of the following:
- Certified Nursing Assistant program
- Patient Care Technician program
- Fundamentals of Nursing program from an accredited school of nursing.
- HMH PCT Apprenticeship Program
- Or equivalent medical background experience, such as EMT, Home Health Aide, CMA, MA, PCT, Nursing Assistant will be accepted
- The ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing patient needs, a strong sense of accountability for improving the lives of our patients and their caregivers, an exceptional focus on teamwork, dedication to ongoing education and the ability and passion to deliver the highest quality of care and service based on a strong sense of patient focus are all required.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Experienced or certified in phlebotomy and checking EKG, vital signs and blood sugar.
- At least one (1) year PCT or CNA experience in a hospital setting strongly preferred
- Certified Nursing Assistant, Certified Medical Assistant or Patient Care Technician who has successfully completed a PCT program which includes Phlebotomy, EKG and nursing assistant course both in the theoretical and clinical setting.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification (must be obtained by completion of onboarding)
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
Start ExploringSee the area you’ll be working in and get an idea of what your daily routine around the office can be like. Learn More
Awards We’ve Received
US News & World Report 2023
- HUMC - #1 Hospital in NJ & #5 in NY Metro Area
US News & World Report 2023
- Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital - #1 Children’s Hospital in NJ
US News & World Report 2023
- JSUMC - #6 Hospital in NJ
2023 & 2022 Magnet Designations
for 9 HMH Institutions
Newsweek 2022 Best Hospitals USA
- HUMC - #57
Newsweek 2022 America’s Best Addiction Treatment Centers
Blake Recovery Center at Carrier Clinic - #2
Diversity Inc. 2023
Top Hospital and Health Systems
Becker’s Hospital Review 2022
- Top Places to Work in Healthcare
JOBS FOR YOU
You have no recently viewed jobs
Ob/Gyn Physician - Deal LakeHMHMG SPECIALTY CARE 570 Asbury Park, New Jersey
Medical Assistant-Oncology Medical SpecialistHMH PHYSICIAN SERVICES, INC. Avenel, New Jersey
Medical Receptionist- Oncology (Physician Practice)HMH PHYSICIAN SERVICES, INC. Avenel, New Jersey
Teacher of Social Studies - Full TimeEAST MOUNTAIN SCHOOL Belle Mead, New Jersey
WE KEEP GETTING BETTER
At Hackensack Meridian Health, we help our patients live better, healthier lives – and we help one another succeed. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how our team members support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we’re ready to transform health care and advance our mission to serve as a leader of positive change.
From roles that are right for you to new opportunities, join our talent community and stay up to date with job openings and more.