Physician Assistant / APN General Surgery Nights JFKUMC
The Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner manages the day-to-day inpatient and operative needs of surgical patients in conjunction with, and under the supervision of an attending physician . The PA is responsible for the assessment and management of various patient populations and surgical subspecialties including but not limited to the overall management of a surgical patient, ordering and interpretation of diagnostic testing, development of appropriate plans of care, therapeutic interventions, and intra operative assistance. They maintain a collaborative work environment that is safe, just, and founded on principles of high reliability and quality outcomes for patients and colleagues. The PA will perform duties in accordance with state and federal regulations as well as network policies, PA scope of practice guidelines, approved clinical privileges and the JFKUMC policy. The physician assistant reports to the department clinical lead and Director of Advanced Practice Providers, Physician Assistant. Full time shift position including day and night coverage as well as weekend and holidays on a rotational basis. This is a night position for general surgery floor and OR coverage.
Night shift coverage 7p-7a.
New graduates welcome to apply!
RNFA preferred for APN’s applying
Essential Clinical Job Functions:
1. Under the supervision of a physician(s) with appropriate privileges, performs comprehensive medical care of patients with multi-system illness and/or injury, encompassing all aspects of management.
2. Obtains a detailed and accurate history, performs highly reliable physical examination,
identifies problems, orders and interprets appropriate laboratory and diagnostic testing.
Develops appropriate plans of care, follow up and performs interventions based on the
outcomes of diagnostic, laboratory and examination findings.
3. Participates in daily rounds individually and/or with the surgical team. Performs surgical
consultations, manages patient care throughout the shift and evaluates patients for changes in status.
4. Consistently submits timely documentation of admission notes, history and physical examinations, consultations, daily patient encounter notes, urgent evaluation notes, procedure notes, brief post-operative notes and discharge summaries.
5. In case of a surgical admission, insures all elements of pre-op evaluation are within acceptable range and facilitates in the expedited coordination of operative care.
6. Assists surgeon in the operating room as a first assistant or as a second assistant when
deemed necessary by the supervising surgeon and when a qualified assistant physician is not
required by N.J.A.C. 12.35-4.1
7. Performs bedside procedures including but not limited to dressing changes, nasogastric tube placement, incision and drainage, placement, troubleshooting and removal of VAC dressings, wound debridements, the removal of surgical drains, removal of a chest tubes, removal of central venous catheter and arterial lines, bedside suturing, and suture removal.
8. Acts as a “first line” person responsible for all the post procedure management of patients.
9. Prescribes medications in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations under supervision of a licensed physician as approved by the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners. Under the guidance and direction of a supervising physician and in accordance with the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners, prescribe controlled dangerous substances only with current state CDS license and DEA number.
10. Demonstrates select competencies and high level of clinical judgment and skills amongst
commonly diagnosed conditions.
11. Exhibits organizational, communication and leadership skills, initiative, accountability, responsibility, appropriate judgment, and decision making.
12. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
13. Functions as a resource to other Team Members and participates in their education.
14. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies, Elearning, and standards of behavior.
15. Displays an understanding and awareness of and performs all duties in accordance with the Hospital's and HMH Network Mission and Vision Statements.
16. Adheres to all Hospital infection control and safety policies.
17. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Non-Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Demonstrates a professional and collaborative relationship with other providers and Team
2. Exhibits and fosters behavior that emulates the hospital's mission, vision and values, and creates a culture that promotes a healthy work environment.
3. Maintains superior interpersonal and communication skills as a Team Member. Collaborates
effectively with patients, families and other Team Members.
4. Promotes a commitment to one’s professional, departmental and organizational growth.
5. Participates in departmental and organizational committees, including interdepartmental
meetings, Morbidity and Mortality conferences, quality assurance meetings, professional
6. Participates in Standard of Care practices and promotes the implementation of quality
measures and safety measures.
7. Remains active in Continuation of Medical Education programs and self education as well as
participates in the education and training of new hires and rotating PA students.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
1. Successful completion of an approved physicians assistant program, accredited by the Accreditation and Review Committee for Physician Assistants (ARC-PA) or other NCCPA certification examination qualifying accrediting agency.
2. Maintenance of a minimum of 100 hours of CME in accordance with NCCPA regulations every 2 years
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
1. 2 years of general surgery and OR assistant experience is preferred however new graduates are considered.
2. Robotics training
1. New Jersey State Physician Assistant Certification
2. Basic Cardiac Life Support Certification required
3. Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification
4. New Jersey CDS license
Master´s Degree in Nursing required.
New Jersey Advanced Practice Nurse license
Minimum of 5 years RN/Specialty experience.
2 years experience in the Nurse Practitioner role preferred.
Minimum 5 years leadership/administration.
Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and Google Drive.
RNFA preferred for APN’s applying
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.