How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Transitions of Care Navigator is a member of the healthcare team and is responsible for coordinating, communicating and facilitating the care of patients with Medical, Behavioral and Maternal Health needs. The navigator is accountable for a designated case load determined by the careful daily selection of eligible patients. They assess, plan, and facilitate, with patients/families and healthcare professionals involved in the patient's care to meet treatment goals, and arrange for the appropriate next steps. Oversees Inter facility Coordination and handoff between acute & outpatient services.
A day in the life of a Navigator, TOC at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- All patients who are admitted for medical care will be screened for potential eligibility to the Transitions of Care (TOC) program. All eligible patients will be enrolled.
- Meets directly with patient/family to assess needs and develop an individualized needs assessment to plan in collaboration with the Transitions Assistant.
- Facilitates communication and coordination between members of the health care team and involves the patient/family in the decision making process, in order to minimize fragmentation of services, manage resources and remove barriers to the discharge plan of care.
- Develops a TOC plan, in collaboration with the patient/family, patient caregiver, patient support persons and healthcare team that will provide maximum benefit for each patient. In addition to aligning with patient quality metrics. Confirms the patient has a primary care provider, OB-Gyn or Behavioral Health providers upon discharge and refers appropriately to an FQHC or Provider that accepts patients' medical insurance.
- Participates in Multidisciplinary Team Rounds, specific to the assigned unit. Brings forth issues which impact patient¿s discharge as well as the risk of readmission to the team, for discussion and resolution with patient¿s health care team and Transitions Assistant.
- Works collaboratively with all members of the multidisciplinary health care team and community partners for timely and appropriate transitions to the next appropriate level of care.
- Maintains current and up to date information of community resources and refers patients to those community resources which will enhance patient¿s life and clinical outcomes. Consults with other community agencies and committees to identify potential resources to support patients and their families. Will actively work to find community partners
- Documents and communicates information to the Multidisciplinary Team in order to coordinate and maximize care. The Electronic Health Record will reflect the needs of the patient, any education needed based on the patient's medical history, coordination of follow-up care, and referral to complex Behavioral Care services.
- Provides patients and families with community resources and discharge care coordination options.
- Participates actively on appropriate workgroups, and/or meetings. Is a positive problem solver. Identifies and refers quality issues for review to the Regional Manager.
- Reassesses periodically and evaluates against care goals and the plan of care and, when indicated, the plan or goals are revised. Medical records reflect that each patient's discharge plan is re-assessed in response to changes in patient¿s needs and Social Determinants of Health.
- Collaborates with social work and outside agencies to support the following functions; crisis intervention, counseling support and referrals, abuse/neglect, psychosocial assessment and referrals to ICMS or PACT Programs as needed.
- Completes all other necessary duties with attention to detail and in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with Utilization Review Nurses.
- a. Primary Care Physicians
- b. Behavioral Health Providers
- c. HUMG Internal Medicine Clinic
- d. Human Dimensions Program
- e. Meds to Bed program
- f. Lyft Concierge Transportation
- g. Financial Assistance Office
- h. HMH Quit Center
- i. North Hudson Clinics
- j. Medication Assistance Programs
- k. NowPow
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelors degree.
- Knowledge of managed care principles.
- Knowledge of Quality Improvement Program - New Jersey program and its Quality Metrics.
- Knowledge of health care delivery system, utilization and review and case review procedures.
- Knowledge of Social Determinants of Health
- Good working knowledge of benefit plans; Medicaid-HMOs, etc.
- Computer skills to include Google Docs and data entry.
- Delegates effectively to Transitions Assistant.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional communication skills to enable communication and collaboration with physicians, patients, families and ancillary staff.
- Excellent critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Ability to make sound, independent clinical judgements and act professionally under pressure.
- Demonstrate ability to provide age appropriate patient education, age appropriate written and verbal communication skills, cultural competency and customer service skills and health literacy.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Three to five years' clinical experience.
- Experience with relevant systems; Google Docs, EPIC.
- Master's degree.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Certified Case Manager or Accredited Case Manager Certification.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.