Manager, Patient Safety
How have YOU impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Manager, Patient Safety acts in conjunction with the department of patient safety and quality and reports directly to the VP for Patient Safety and Director, Quality Initiatives and System Improvement. Provides oversight and leads safety activities by identifying processes and systems requiring improvement to prevent harm. Directs event management to include grievance management to ensure that cost effective quality care is administered to all patients in compliance with the standards of all regulatory and accrediting agencies. All functions will be guided by the requirement of external regulating and accrediting bodies and the networks as well as organizations performance improvement plan. Provides leadership in the implementation and integration of the Department of Patient Care Performance Improvement Plan and the HMH Safety Charter in addition to ensuring JCAHO & regulatory compliance at the medical center. Utilizing claims, quality and event data, coordinates focused departmental-specific risk assessments which include recommendations of best practices to reduce targeted risks and eliminate preventable harm. Leads the daily activities of the teams designated to perform Root Cause Analysis and manages activities related to the patient safety organization. Oversees various activities of the Patient Safety and Quality Department while aligning with the Medical Center Performance Improvement Plan is assuring compliance with all Patient Safety Indicators, quality, mortality, peer review, staff development and Patient Safety Organization. Advances the integration of the science of patient safety and continuous learning throughout the medical center and HMH network.
A day in the life of a Manager, Patient Safety at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Oversees the investigation, analysis and development of risk reduction strategies if necessary, of all referred cases.
- Ensures department compliance with all federal and state regulatory and licensing requirements and organizational by laws, rules, regulations and policies and procedures.
- Directs event management, analysis and follow up activities. Ensures preliminary investigational review; facilitates additional and/or team meetings to perform root cause analysis; prepares response for appropriate review; tracks all cases investigated; maintains accurate documentation of all actions; monitors compliance in collaboration with appropriate review personnel.
- Oversight and facilitation of interdisciplinary team/Root Cause analysis meetings:
- Identify events, near misses and opportunities for quality and system improvement through the use of event reports, claims data and trends identified through data analysis.
- Direct the assembly of the appropriate team for investigation, analysis and formulation of risk reduction strategies and system improvements.
- Confirm stakeholder meeting is convened to discuss the operational imperatives of strategies to be integrated while identifying barriers to implementation.
- Undertake interval assessment of success of strategies and re-convene teams as necessary to ensure goals of strategies are met.
- Present strategies and follow up at Patient Safety Committee and Safety Council to facilitate continuous learning and scalability where possible.
- Identify appropriate metrics and analyze data for meaningful change.
- Encourage continuous learning and transparency throughout the network utilizing standing committees.
- Guide continuous learning and transparency related to patient safety and quality initiatives.
- Incorporate continuous learning throughout the medical center including evidence based best practices, scalable system improvements, safety stories with lessons learned and needs identified through claims, suits and events.
- Through analysis of data, distinguish isolated events from trends and deploy resources to address those impacting patient satisfaction, outcomes and ROI. Engage all levels of caregivers and staff in advancing patient safety through HRO training, quality initiatives addressing small wins and when designing system improvement.
- Utilize a variety of modes to increase the reach including webinar, video conferencing and interactive presentations.
- Oversee learning through conferences, continuing education and web based learning.
- Nurture and promote continuous learning inside and outside of the medical center.
- Employ various techniques to enhance performance including role play, presentation skill practice, use of project management tools to streamline work and permit scalability where appropriate.
- Ensures use of appropriate methodologies and relevant tools to opportunities to evidence rapid cycle improvement (i.e. PDSA, FMEA, reliability science, bundle science, process flows).
- Collaborates with Performance Improvement Department as well as with the VP Quality Initiatives and System Improvement and VP, Chief Quality/Safety to ensure that organizational wide safety initiatives are rolled out effectively and risk reduction strategies implemented wherever appropriate.
- Ensures trend analysis is performed and appropriate response to unfavorable trends are developed and deployed.
- Oversees and facilitates scheduled training sessions with the managers, team leaders and staff as needed to educate and implement patient safety and quality improvement principles and goals as a strategy.
- Ensure plans and designs are consistent with internal and external expectations for accreditation, regulatory compliance and public reporting.
- Aligns safety initiatives and performance improvement to the Magnet philosophy.
- Manages yearly completion of staff performance evaluations.
- Responsible for managing staff activity & maintaining standards of compliance.
- Assuring all staff act in accordance with the Medical Center Code of Conduct.
- Co-Leads the Safety Committee, and ad-hoc member of the HMH Safety Council.
- Support Patient Safety through active participation in the identification of actual or potential patient safety issues.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and professional facilitations to maintain and extend expertise.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Master's Degree required (healthcare in preferred)
- 7-10 years of clinical experience in an acute care hospital.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in the use of computer application and software.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Skills including Word, Excel, Power Point.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Patient Safety and Performance Improvement.
- Case analysis experience.
- Lean training.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- CPPS within one year of hire.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.