HMH High School Career Exploration Academy
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The objective of the career explorers program is to expose high school students to various opportunities in the health care industry and assist them in occupational exploration.
- Experience “the day and the life” of talented professionals in a workplace environment
- Gain self-confidence in selecting future career choices
- Develop a clear understanding of the various roles in healthcare
The program commences Junior year and will continue through the student’s senior year. There are four phases to the program which include:
- Junior year – phase 1 – Orientation & Exploration
- Junior year – phase 2 – Mentorship Selection [selected area]
- Senior year – phase 3 – Volunteer & Project Planning [selected area]
- Senior year – phase 4 – Project & Presentation
- Orientation & Exploration
- This stage will take place for four hours, one day a week for a duration of four weeks. Students will be rotate among 12 clinical and non-clinical departments within the organization. During each rotation a tour of the department will be given as well as information and career options.
- Once the student has selected a career path to explore, the student will be assigned to a trained mentor who will support the student through the remainder of the program.
- Volunteer & Project Planning
- The student will volunteer within the department where the student is receiving mentorship. The mentor and student will agree on scheduled check-ins. During the volunteer phase, the student can observe the multiple roles and responsibilities within the department to determine a project opportunity. Once a project has been selected, the student must present to counselor and mentor for approval or adjustments.
- Project & Presentation
- The project will be implemented with the support of the mentor. At the end of this phase, the student will present their project and will have successfully completed the program.
The student is expected to partner with their guidance counselors to insure below requirements are met. You will need the following:
- Letter of Recommendation from teacher/advisor
- Essay on career interest – (approximately 300-500 words) explaining why you would like to join the Career Exploration Academy at Hackensack Meridian Health
- Transcripts of high school career up to date
- Respectable attendance record
- After initial review, additional documents (Health Clearance Attestation Form, Parental Consent Form, and Confidentiality Statement) will be required and submitted directly to guidance counselors.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.