Unit Secretary - Acute Rehab - JRI - F/T Evenings
Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Nursing Unit Secretary is a member of the healthcare team who takes direction from and is supervised by the Nurse Manager, Assistant Nurse Manager, or designee. Performs the clerical, reception/communication and coordination tasks for the nursing unit in accordance with the established policies and procedures. This position functions in a multi-skilled environment, which requires the application of customer service and clerical skills with patient related activities.
A day in the life of a Unit Secretary at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Performs access services functions to admit, transfer, and discharge patients.
- Calls in consults.
- Timekeeping in the payroll system, as assigned.
- Maintains admission, transfer, discharge, preoperative, postoperative and other patient records.
- Maintains patients' charts including filing of patient data in the chart holder.
- Requisitions supplies and services from various hospital departments as required.
- Operates and maintains all office equipment.
- Assists with staffing and scheduling requirements of the unit.
- Assists internal customers with chart location.
- Interacts with team members, families and patients.
- Coordinates with EVS for room readiness.
- Answers, places and transfers telephone calls.
- Answers the intercom and directs Team Members as appropriate.
- Records and relays messages.
- Received and directs visitors.
- Receives and assists patients within prescribed limits.
- Maintains communication within the nursing unit and between the nursing unit and other hospital departments.
- Assists all healthcare personnel.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH's Organizational and Managerial competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School diploma, general equivalency diploma (GED), and/or GED equivalent programs with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must meet and maintain the expectation of competency in his or her practice dependent upon the specific work environment.
- Demonstration of age appropriate implementation of care delivered to patients as specified by the department's scope of services.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Computer skills are preferred, but not a requirement as training provided as part of the orientation process.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.