Surgical Coordinator-ENT & Facial Plastic Surgery (Physician Practice)
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our team members are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care and coaching each and every day. Through the comprehensive care we provide, we are confident that you will be able to apply your skills while building your career within New Jerseys premier healthcare system.
The Surgical Coordinator is responsible for coordination of all aspects of tests, procedures and surgeries.
A day in the life of a Surgical Coordinator at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Coordinates all aspects of tests, procedures and surgeries under the direction and supervision of the Practice Supervisor or Manager and physician(s) in an efficient manner.
- Schedules procedures in a prompt, polite, and helpful manner.
- Follows guidelines of each facility including any required booking sheets.
- Makes sure proper equipment is ordered for surgery.
- Verifies patient demographics.
- Logs the patient and their insurance information, contacts insurance company for verification of coverage and benefits and obtains precertification from the payer.
- Coordinates procedure appointments with physicians calendar, and changes in the schedule are adjusted as needed. Communicates appointments and surgical preparation information to the patients.
- Responsible for arranging co-surgeon or assistant as needed as well as cross scheduling with other departments (i.e. the lab for intra op TH or nuclear medicine for injections/mapping).
- Ensures pre-op procedures are followed with consistency including: completion of surgical documentation (including completed consent forms, history and physical within 30 days of scheduled procedure and physician orders.
- Distributes documentation to appropriate departments.
- Schedules pre-surgery appointment with physician, obtains medical clearance(s) as needed, coordinates pre-admission testing appointments with appropriate departments and follows up with results to the physician.
- Responsible for maintaining block time guidelines at each of the hospitals.
- Coordinates required postoperative care under the direction of the provider.
- Obtains surgical billing information from physicians. Works with coding department to obtain appropriate codes and posts and reconciles all surgical charges.
- Tracks all procedures including completed and pending cases.
- Tracks all surgical testing and pathology results.
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Helps to promote high levels of service, greets patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous and helpful manner.
- At each patient encounter, responds promptly to patients needs and listen with empathy both in person and on the telephone.
- The coordinator will courteously assist the patient while never compromising the dignity of the patients surgical and financial needs.
- Must display cooperative interactions with others and accepts responsibility for what needs to get done.
- Adapts work schedule to meet the needs of the practice and works additional hours as requested to maintain adequate coverage for the practice.
- Clocks in at designated start time.
- Manages time efficiently to prevent unapproved overtime.
- Performs assignments with efficiency and accuracy in a positive manner.
- May be required to provide cross coverage within the Physician Services Division.
- Participates in surgical service meetings held at the hospitals.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
- High School Diploma/ GED plus two years of related experience required
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills required
- The ability to learn quickly and adapt in a changing environment
- 2 years of progressive experience in a medical office is preferred
- Proficient in medical terminology and HIPAA guidelines
- Surgical coding knowledge (CPT and ICD-10) preferred
- CPR certification is preferred
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.