MDS Coordinator, RN
Part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver patient-centered nursing and rehabilitation services to patients. Responsible and accountable for planning, organizing, coordinating and evaluating the practice of MDS completion and transmission.
1. Conducts and coordinates the development and completion of the resident assessment in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines.
2. Completes accurate coding of the MDS with information obtained via medical record review as well as observation and interview with facility staff, resident, and family members.
3. Ensures the accuracy of diagnoses on MDS.
4. Reviews and updates diagnoses.
5. Reviews specific policies and procedures in the nursing manual that relate to the assessment process; and updates as necessary. Evaluate and implement recommendations from established committees as they may pertain to the assessment and/or care plan functions of the facility.
6. Is available and actively participates in all State, Federal and Joint Commission surveys. Participates in survey inspections made by authorized agencies.
7. Assists during any audit process as needed, reviews findings, documentation and makes any modification/correction of assessments if appropriate as recommended by the audit
8. Coordinates the preparation of all requests from appropriate State and/or federal regulatory agencies or agents regarding payment of services (reconsideration, denials appeals, etc.) if needed.
9. Accountable for accuracy and timely completion of Medicare certifications and re-certifications.
10. Provides written and/or oral reports of the resident assessment/care plan functions as requested or directed by committees or Director of Nursing (DON).
11. Reports all updated information to the clinical round team and DON or designated supervisor.
12. Assesses and evaluates the outcomes of the MDS process to determine additional training, education and monitoring needs.
13. Participates in the planning, conducting, and scheduling in-services, orientation, and training sections.
14. Serves as the facility resource for MDS, CMI, RUGs, and Medicare benefits and provides education to the interdisciplinary team as appropriate.
15. Maintains a current and comprehensive knowledge of MDS and Medicaid (CMI).
16. Ensures that all care plans are reviewed and updated as required by CMS regulations.
17. Monitors MDS and care plan documentation for all residents.
18. Ensures documentation is present in the medical record to support MDS coding. Participates in communicating changes of resident¿s status to Interdisciplinary Team.
19. Ensures that each portion of the assessment is signed and dated by the person completing that portion of the MDS.
20. Coordinates interdisciplinary participation in completing the MDS according to OBRA and Medicare schedule.
21. Demonstrates effective communication skills.
22. Communicates issues and daily work status with DON or Supervisor and provides updates if problems are not resolved in a timely basis.
23. Participates in Performance Improvement meetings. Coaches, counsels and evaluates performance of direct reports.
24. Maintains required records, reports, statistics, etc.
25. Shares information, ideas and personal skills with other team members in the department and facility. Asks if other team members need help or ask for help if you need assistance.
26. Maintains an effective, friendly working relationship with health professionals, physicians, consultants, and governmental agencies that may be involved in the resident assessment/care plan functions of the facility.
27. Assists in the recruitment, development and supervision of team members.
28. Creates and sustains an environment that fosters team member engagement. Establishes clear objectives tied to department and/or organizational strategic goals.
29. Participates and represents Harborage and Nursing staff on committees, as requested by supervisors.
30. Maintains professional competence and keeps current with Nursing, MDS, and Occupational Health trends through participation in continuing education, in-service programs, professional staff sessions and training of nursing personnel.
31. Fosters good relationships and communications with all Team Members, patients, family/significant others and visitors.
32. When MDS Supervisor is not available, provides back-up support for authorized activities, including, but not limited to: meetings, preparing and filing reports, and communications.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Completion of an approved RN or LPN program
2. Current with all Continuing Education (CE) requirements
3. Perform clinical care professionally
4. Serve as patient advocate and role model to other Team Members
5. Delivers the highest level of service to all residents, families and visitors.
6. Deliver patient care with minimal disruptions and obstacles
7. Ability to effectively work on a multidisciplinary team
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Computer skills, including Microsoft Office
2. Long-term care facility experience
3. Prior work experience with geriatric and disabled populations.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. NJ State Professional Registered Nurse License or Licensed Practical Nurse.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.