Occ Health Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Job Summary: The Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician Assistant performs the role utilizing the patient-centered
coordinated care model demonstrated through the following competencies: leadership, direct clinical
practice, consultation/collaboration, coaching/guiding, research, and ethical decision making. Works
collaboratively with other members of the Occupational Health team to assess, plan and implement care
for individuals with Employment/Occupational health and safety needs.
Strong Occupational Health Background preferred
PLEASE NOTE THIS POSITION WILL START IN NEPTUNE BUT WILL ULTIMATELY END UP AT Hackensack University Medical Plaza at 20 Prospect Avenue HACKENSACK, NJ 07601
Essential Generic Job Functions (List in order of importance):
1. Provides medical assessments, treatments, clearances for HMH applicants, team members,
constituents and external customers per specific company profiles & or regulatory standards.
2. Performs clinical care professionally, serving as a customer advocate and role model.
3. Clinical practice accurately reflects NJ Board of Medical Examiners regulations, Code of
Ethics, the current NJ Department of Health requirements, and HMH policies and procedures.
4. Develops and implements appropriate plan of care
5. Demonstrate “early return work” philosophy in treatment plan, utilizes diagnostic testing and
physical therapy to promote effective return to essential job functions and pre injury state.
6. Facilitates patient teaching and support programs for patients/ and employers
7. Effectively engages injured individual in home exercise program when indicated and return to
work in a modified capacity. Uses employer contact when needed to emphasize complex
return to work plans.
8. Evaluates current protocols and standards of care for translation of “best practice” into clinical
practice. Supports the development of evidenced-based practice protocols and standards of care
that include interventions and treatments to achieve desired outcomes.
9. Participates in Occupational Health Quality Assurance measures to ensure “Best Practice”.
10. Applies evidence and value-based practices to achieve positive outcomes for patients.
11. Provides medication safely and effectively to promote effective recovery from on-the-job
12. Prescribes medications and/or recommends over-the-counter medications as appropriate.
13. Initiates laboratory tests, immunizations, and diagnostic test/procedures as appropriate
according to regulation and scope of practice.
14. Demonstrates competent clinical skills with treatment plans using most effective screening test
15. Collaborates with physician and consults effectively with other members of the health care
16. Demonstrate effective communication skills interdisciplinary to achieve results
17. Provides accurate, systematic and organized documentation of findings, recommendations/plan
18. EMR documentation is completed in a timely fashion with key elements of documentation
consistent with sound Occupational Medicine principles. EMR documentation includes all
appropriate orders and level of care for tracking &/or invoicing of services provided.
19. Independently participates in continuing education and maintains documentation. Develops a
personal plan of development in area of clinical expertise, conferring with Medical Director on
goals and objectives.
20. Provides culturally diverse and educationally appropriate education in relation to patient
21. Serves as a clinical resource to nursing staff, patients, and other multidisciplinary team
members across the continuum to evaluate complex patients and identify appropriate
interventions and evaluation of outcomes.
22. Participates in policy/procedure reviews for updating with current evidence-based and value-
23. Acts as a resource to staff for addressing clinical, process, and system opportunities for
improvement which promote excellence in care and clinical outcomes..
24. Promotes a collaborative work environment which supports the organizational mission,
behavior expectations and values.
25. Promotes innovation within clinical practice by seeking opportunities to bring new clinical
knowledge into practice.
26. Identifies ethical care issues and coordinates interdisciplinary collaborative meetings to resolve
27. Floats to various clinic locations as needed.
28. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
For Physician Assistant:
1. Successful completion of an approved physician's assistant program, accredited by the AMA Council on Medical Education. Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred: Licenses and Certifications Required: 1. Physician Assistant License. 2. Certification by the National Commission for Certified Physician's Assistants (NCCPA) within one year of initial employment by the Medical Center.
For Nurse Practitioner:
1. Graduate of an NLN/AACN accredited program in nursing
2. Masters degree.
3. Maintains clinical competencies through participating in continuing educational programs (contact
hours per years), and clinical practice as mandated by Board of Nursing and national certification body.
4. Experience in relevant patient care setting or as regulations dictate.
5. Valid Drivers license
Contacts: Regular contact with HMH team members, External customers, Providers, Leaders, HR and
TA, Various Employer Representatives.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
1. Master’s Prepared Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician Assistant graduate
2. Minimum of 3 years professional experience.
3. Strong organizational and computer skills
4. Effective verbal and written communication skills
5. Emotional intelligence, critical thinking and effective interpersonal skills
6. Ability to adapt to multiple and changing priorities
1. Current valid, unencumbered NJ State Professional Registered Nurse license.(not for PA)
2. Maintains certification as APN / PA in New Jersey.
3. Maintains National or Board Certification as appropriate in area of specialty.
4. Maintains American Heart Association Basic Life Support HCP certification.
5. In collaborative agreement with Occupational Health physicians, fulfills terms of collaborative agreement.
Strong Occupational Health Background preferred and must be willing to work at Hackensack University Medical Plaza at 20 Prospect Avenue HACKENSACK, NJ 07601 after the Occ Health Call Center position is over in Neptune.The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.