Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Neuro ICU Nights Per Diem JSUMC
The Physician Assistant or Acute Care Nurse Practitioner will provide exceptional patient care for critically ill patients in a dedicated 13 bed NEURO ICU in a Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center. Critical conditions that will be managed include; intracerebral hemorrhages, ischemic strokes, subarachnoid hemorrhages, status epilepticus, brain and spine infections, malignancy, aneurysms, subdural and epidural hematomas, nerve conduction disorders and other neurosurgical and neurological emergencies. The successful candidate will be part of a multidisciplinary team including; critical care intensivists, pharmacists, educators, advanced practitioners, nurses and other support staff.
The Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant will be expected to;
- Autonomously manage the medical care of neuro-critical care patients.
- Participate in daily rounds with an attending physician and develop/implement clinical care plans for each patient based on their specific needs. Enter necessary orders.
- Perform bedside procedures within their scope of practice.
- Hold and/or participate in family meetings.
- Perform detailed physical exams.
- Demonstrate accurate and timely documentation of detailed patient history and physical exams, consults and daily progress notes.
- Participates in academic and professional development through attendance and/or participation at national/regional conferences.
- Complete mandatory Hackensack Meridian Health and Neuro Critical care training as assigned.
- Ensure adherence to Joint Commission standards and all related corporate policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Promotes knowledge and compliance with regulatory requirements related to patient safety.
- Treat all patients and co-workers with dignity and respect.
- Assist in the education of patient care staff in the use of new equipment, supplies, and instruments. Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices. Equipment utilization and education includes, but is not limited to; external ventricular drains, intracranial pressure monitors, pupilometer, central lines, arterial lines, mechanical ventilators, electrocardiogram, electroencephalography, normothermia equipment and Tissue Plasminogen Activator utilization and administration.
- Participates in the orientation of new Neuro ICU team members in coordination with the management team in the Neuro ICU.
- Assists patients and caregivers with educational needs, problem resolution, and health management across the continuum of care.
- Participates in development of policies and procedures for the Neuro ICU. Contributes actively to a variety of committees and the shared governance structure to improve the overall system’s delivery of neuro critical care across the continuum, including but not limited to participation in the maintenance and renewal of the Comprehensive Stroke Program Certification.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for Nurse Practitioner:
1. Graduate of an NLN/AACN accredited program in nursing
2. Master's Degree
3. Maintains clinical competencies through participating in continuing educational programs (contact hours per years), and clinical practice as mandated by Board of Nursing and national certification body.
4. Experience in relevant patient care setting or as regulations dictate.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred: 1. Master's Prepared Advanced Practice Nurse
2. Minimum of 3 years professional experience.
3. Strong organizational and computer skills
4. Effective verbal and written communication skills
5. Emotional intelligence, critical thinking and effective interpersonal skills
6. Ability to adapt to multiple and changing priorities
7. Valid Driver's license
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. NJ State Professional Registered Nurse License.
2. Advanced Practice Nurse Cetification (w/ Master's Degree).
3. AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred: 1. CPR certification
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Successful completion of an approved physician's assistant program, accredited by the AMA Council on Medical Education.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. New Jersey Physician Assistant License.
2. Basic Cardiac Life Support Certification
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.