Certified Sterile Processing Tech - Full time with benefits - Nights
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Certified SPD technician performs all tasks associated with the processing of surgical instruments and medical devices including cleaning, decontamination, assembly, sterilization/high level disinfection; monitoring of environmental conditions, sterilization processes, and HLD processes; assembly and dispatching of case carts and emergency carts; and inventory and ordering of SPD supplies.
A day in the life of a Certified Sterile Processing Technician at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assists in processing of instruments, surgical trays, and surgical case carts.: Performs duties in the Processing area. Maintains knowledge of instruments and trays and can assemble trays and sets as detailed on set layout sheets. Can operate correctly all machinery associated with the Decontamination and Processing area and identify problems that affect the quality of the product produced.
- Checks expiration dates on sterile items.: Checks for outdated items and takes appropriate action if discovered.
- Demonstrates proper phone etiquette.: Uses proper procedure with callers on the business unit and OR Hotline phones in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Makes daily soil rounds of the medical units.: Performs daily soil rounds, visiting all required areas and returns all items to SPD for processing.
- Performs functions in Decontamination area.: Responsible for cleaning the instruments, trays and carts. Performs decontamination duties without direction. Has the ability to control the workflow in the Decontamination area.
- Records all processed loads and keeps accurate records.: Accurately enters information into record books required to track processed loads. Records Biological indicators into required logs and places Biological indicators into the proper incubator to be processed. Removes Biological indicators after proper time period and accurately records outcome of testing.
- Responsible for SPD department stock.: Puts away supplies in the SPD department and rotates stock as needed. Duties are performed with reasonable speed and definite accuracy.
- Responsible for the daily operations of the business unit in the Supervisor's absence.: Demonstrates ability to take charge and appropriately assigns team members in the interest of business unit and ultimately patient care.
- Responsible for the daily operations of the business unit in the Coordinator's and/or Supervisor's absence. (Technicians with charge responsibilities.): Demonstrates the ability to take charge of the processing functions by appropriately facilitating the team members in the performance of their assignments in the best interest of the business unit and ultimately patient care.
- Steam and Sterrad sterilization of instruments and medical devices. Operates steam and Sterrad sterilization equipment in compliance with manufacturer's instructions, policies and procedures, and Infection Prevention.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Experience with Sterrad sterilization is preferred
- Sterile Processing Certification required
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.