Director, Internal Occupational Health
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
In this strategic role, the Director, Internal Occupational Health serves as primary occupational health account holder for the larger HMH organization. Responsible for ensuring the HMH organization is achieving goals for optimal team member health and safety while adhering to relevant regulatory guidelines Leads technological solutions, support and directs policies for HMH team member occupational health services. Oversees collection and communication of relevant team member health and safety data inclusive of OSHA reporting information to HMH. Responsible for providing the leadership and guidance to administer all aspects of Surveillance Health (OHST), and other work-related programs and services as developed specifically for HMH team members.
A day in the life of a Director, Internal Occupational Health at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Responsible for serving HMH as a client and ensuring the effective and efficient meeting of team member health and safety needs in relation to Occupational Health.
- Oversee the administration of Occupational Health services to HMH team members, including directing aspects of Surveillance Health and other HMH-specific programs and services provided outside of clinic settings.
- Responsible for developing, standardizing and managing relevant OH operating procedures, policies and programs to improve the health and safety of HMH team members, ensuring alignment throughout the Occupational Health Division.
- Participates in the efforts to improve processes and care delivery as part of the Reimagining HMH work.
- Works closely with the Vice President of Occupational Health and the Directors of Clinic Management and External Occupational Health to inform strategies for internal efficiencies and external growth, ensuring services are meeting the needs of the clients.
- Works closely with the Chairperson of Occupational Health to ensure synergy amongst all constituents.
- Provide Environmental Health/Safety leader and HMH risk management with relevant information to improve environmental health and safety, working with other leaders as needed.
- Lead and serve on relevant committees, including the HMH network Environment of Care Committee, as needed and requested.
- Work with Team member health & safety data analysis team to monitor key performance metrics for HMH Occupational Health services, understand repeated occupational health issues and injuries in the HMH network, and communicate appropriately with HMH risk Management, the leader of Environmental Health/Safety, and the Occupational Health Clinic Management leaders to ensure team member health is prioritized.
- Maintain current knowledge of laws and regulations affecting the operations and specific team member roles and responsibilities, including OSHA, NJDOH, CDC and TJC.
- Oversee coordination of OSHA reporting from Occupational Health to the HMH network leader of Environmental Health/Safety.
- Work with the Clinic and Business Operation leaders of occupational health, actively monitoring business operations (key financial indicators and performance metrics), modifying staffing and business activities to achieve operating efficiencies and manage the cost of Occupational Health services to HMH.
- Oversee occupational health team member education and orientation as well as surveillance systems, as required by internal HMH policies and regulatory agencies.
- Educate relevant HMH team members and leadership on best practices in occupational health, as necessary and requested.
- Provide feedback, coaching and developmental opportunities that clearly define expectations for OH leaders and instill a sense of ownership, responsibility and accountability.
- Manage and/or assist in the recruitment, coaching, development, supervision and performance evaluation of team members.
- Perform general and support activities and carry out special projects, and other assignments as required
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
- Lifts a minimum of 35lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 35lbs and stands a minimum of 3h/day.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Master’s degree in healthcare, business administration, informatics or related field.
- 5 years proven effective and progressive experience in healthcare.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a healthcare leadership role, leading programs, projects and teams.
- Expertise in strategic/business planning and new business development.
- Strong analytical, organizational and computer (EMR experience) abilities.
- Emotional intelligence, critical thinking and effective interpersonal skills.
- Expertise in developing and delivering presentations.
- Demonstrates strong problem solving and proactive crisis management capabilities.
- Demonstrates ability to negotiate and reach agreement across diverse constituencies.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Superior oral and written communication skills; effective use of diplomacy, tact and judgment with the ability to articulate and translate eloquently the complex goals, missions and aspirations of Occupational Health.
- Possesses a style which is both innovative and results-oriented.
- Exhibits flexibility while influencing others to improve processes and implement changes.
- Must have extremely strong service-orientation and ability to build relationships with senior and operational executives; demonstrated track record of success proving ability to translate customer needs into new business/revenue opportunities.
- Proven track record of building a team and culture of collaboration.
- Ability to adapt to multiple and changing priorities.
- Proficient in google suite.
- Ability to travel to various HMH and non-HMH facilities.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Experience with OSHA, TJC, CDC and NJDOH standards and guidelines for healthcare settings (e.g., education and reporting requirements).
- Experience with regulatory agency survey/audits.
- Experience with team member injury prevention and environmental health/safety measures.
- Working knowledge of customer relationship building.
- Project and change management experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. Registered Nurse
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
1. National Certification in Occupational Health or equivalent
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.