Registered Nurse- School Nurse (Full Time)
How have you impacted someone’s life today?
At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The School Nurse provides health care services and health education to all East Mountain School students and provides in-service training to staff on health related issues. Incorporates the organization's Mission, Values, and Service Standard Behavior guidelines in the fulfillment of all duties and responsibilities.
A Day in the life of a School Nurse at Hackensack Meridian includes:
- Administers medication to students according to doctors' orders. Reports side effects to parents/guardians and relevant school staff as needed. Assists in evaluating effectiveness of medication in coordination with parent/guardian, physician, and administration.
- Keeps accurate records of medication administration as required by East Mountain School policies.
- Oversees the safe storage of all medications.
- Assists in providing students with education and instruction regarding health issues, medication and self-administration of medication when appropriate (e.g.; asthma inhaler, etc.).
- Provides first-aid treatment to students as needed.
- Keeps accurate records of all illnesses, required screenings (e.g.; scoliosis), or other health related incidents or issues and forwards copies to designated offices.
- Facilitates treatment at a hospital or clinic in a school emergency.
- Assists with the review/revision, compliance and implementation of all East Mountain School and Carrier Clinic health and safety policies, care of emergencies, administration of medication, etc.
- Reviews student health records on an ongoing basis for completeness and accuracy and notifies relevant staff about any significant issues (e.g.; illnesses, injuries, allergies, PE excuses, etc.). Obtains immunization records from school districts for all students.
- Reviews health status of students on an as needed basis and determines if a student is healthy enough to remain in school or to participate in school activities. In cases where communicable diseases are suspected, the program administrator is to be notified. Parents/guardians are notified regarding any significant findings, and the Department of Health as required.
- Provides or assists with the in-service training of East Mountain School staff on health related issues, policies and procedures.
- Attends all relevant East Mountain School meetings.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- NJDOE School Nurse Certification or Certificate of Eligibility.
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification or completed in the first 90 days of employment.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or a related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years working experience.
- NJDOE Criminal History Review.
- Maintains positive and appropriate relationships with students.
- Maintains constructive relationships with East Mountain School staff and other departments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Master's Degree.
- Work experience in a Psychiatric Setting with adolescents.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.