Health Information Technician, Carrier Clinic
Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community.
Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Health Information Technician is responsible for cross-training of processes within the Health Information Management Department including but not limited to the following:
- Discharge and Chart Prep process.
- Scanning of medical records.
- Electronic analysis of charting deficiencies.
- Assist all clinicians in completion of medical records and any other areas as needed.
- Utilizing the EMR systems to retrieve and print medical records for various customers.
- Enter requestor information into 3M Chart Release and print medical records from 3M Chart Release Application as needed.
- Utilize various Meditech Applications to manage patient information.
A day in the life of a Health Information Technician at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
Admission Discharge and Chart Retrieval
- Collects all medical records for discharged patients from all nursing units accurately daily.
- Reconciles all medical records on discharge list from all nursing units accurately daily.
- Communicates daily with management any charts not received within 24 hours of discharge.
- Receive and reconcile all Access, IOP, ECT and Court documents accurately daily.
- Completes white board productivity totals daily.
Prep and Scan, Loose Report Filing, Quality Control and Validation process
- Scans all paper documents received in HIM accurately daily.
- Accurately checks all pages for the correct patient name.
- Accurately checks all pages for correct medical record and account number.
- Accurately puts all progress notes in chronological order.
- Uses barcodes and index forms accurately.
- Notifies the manager of any missing forms and issues timely.
- Accurately scans loose sheets daily.
- Accurately scans Access, IOP, ECT and court charts daily.
- Appropriately indexes forms that kick out.
- Performs quality control check after scanning for each record.
- Performs validation check after quality control for each record.
- Destroys original paper documents according to quality control and validation process daily.
Analysis of Discharged Charts
- Accurately analyzes scanned images for documentation deficiencies using 3M ChartFact Application daily.
- Accurately assigns incomplete documents in Meditech system as needed.
- Accurately completes analysis within 1-3 day goal.
- Accurately completes reanalysis daily including Meditech updates.
- Assists clinicians as needed by answering questions or referring them to appropriate party in a pleasant and professional manner.
Physician Chart Management & Transcription Management
- Accurately creates clinician access for functions as needed.
- Assists clinicians with chart completion as needed in a pleasant and professional manner. 25. Assists with the clinician incomplete notification process as needed.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of the work area.
- Assists with other departmental functions when necessary.
- Assists other staff with training when needed.
- Adheres to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Attends departmental meetings and participates in hospital mandated in-services.
- Participates in the quality improvement process of the HIM Department and Carrier and East Mountain organizations.
- Promotes positive customer relations, good communication skills and positive attitude with all staff and internal and external customers.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all medical record computer systems including 3M, Meditech, Transcription platform, Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, and others as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Associates Degree in Medical records field.
- Minimum of 1 year medical record experience and previous office experience.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Registered Health Information Technician.
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.