Director, Human Resources
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Our vision is to be the region's leading health care provide and the workplace of choice. Come and help us define that vision! We have a rich history and a bright future as a health care innovator. As we build our future, we need people who are bright, driven, and always raising their game.
Our Human Resources Operations Team is looking for individuals who share these qualities and support our internal talent, our team members, who thrive in an environment that continues to draw the respect of our patients, guests and the medical community.
The HR Director is a strategic partner, change agent and member of the line leadership staff in assigned business units. Serves as a trusted advisor by developing and implementing local HR strategy that reflects the local business plans and enables accomplishment of business objectives. Responsible for collaborating with COE partners to architect new programs and processes to address business issues / problems identified. Participates in business planning; champions a culture of change and continuous improvement; ensures that the appropriate talent structure, engagement model, performance management, talent acquisition and compensation strategies, and recognition systems are applied to support local business objectives. Accountable for overall HR service delivery within assigned business units, ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction and an overall positive team member experience in assigned business units. Directly manages HR staff for local business units.
Align Business and HR Strategy for assigned business units.
- Engage executives to understand talent needs of the businesses and define responses
- Participate in periodic business strategic planning and review cycles; act as the human capital strategy architect to proactively work with COE teams to identify and deploy HR interventions to meet business requirements
- Partner closely with local leadership to refine organizational structure, operations and culture
- Proactively obtain, interpret and present metrics and analysis to business leaders to inform decisions (performance, attrition, hiring, vacancy, team member engagement/sensing, and other data)
Advise executives and leaders on people issues
- Provide HR observations related to strategy/performance in meetings and one-on-one; formulate HR requirements
- Offer objective and balanced advice to leaders on business challenges and people implications, leadership effectiveness, culture, and alignment of enterprise HR programs
- Advise business leaders on change management, performance issues, responding to team member or community concerns, compliance or ethics investigations, etc.
- Manage response to executive requests for information, questions or special projects
Deploy talent and development programs
- Partner with COEs to deploy talent programs in local business units (performance assessment & review, succession planning, development planning, talent acquisition strategies).
- Support executives and leaders with advice and tools for team member coaching, mentoring, feedback processes, high-potential development, career development counseling, etc.
Lead local Team Member & Community engagement efforts
- Promote and foster a healthy work environment; raise awareness of available programs to assist team members; Implement appropriate team member engagement programs and positive team member relations programs.
- Interpret and drive action planning as a result of engagement surveys; assess population “temperature” through formal and informal sensing and report results/plan actions with executive team
- Implement programs to recognize service and celebrate achievement by team members
Drive HR operational excellence
- Develop and drive corporate HR programs and initiatives within assigned business units (e.g., comp programs, benefits, talent acquisition, recognition, engagement, performance management, workforce planning, culture, organizational change, etc.)
- Build, develop and lead the efforts of a local team of HR professionals in achieving strategic and operational objectives
- Deliver broad based and complex HR messages or concepts to leaders, present HR strategies and initiatives in a way that provides clarity around integration and business relevance
- Work with local business executives and HR COEs to develop or modify strategies and programs to most effectively meet local business needs and culture; Identify and share root causes of HR issues with relevant HR COEs to help shape HR programs
- Oversee investigations of team member, ethics, or compliance issues, in consultation with TMLR COE
- If applicable, partner with TMLR COE to develop and implement local Labor strategies, support contract negotiations, grievance investigations, etc.
- Conduct ongoing position budgeting review and ensure that staffing plans are aligned with span of control, productivity metrics, budgeted allocations, etc. Understand local and regional healthcare talent market
- Revise and localize job descriptions and compensation with Talent Acquisition and Compensation COEs.
- Drive effective leader and team member communications initiatives
Partner to support business performance, quality and patient care initiatives
- Partner with Corporate & business unit leaders on initiatives related to patient care, quality, safety & compliance, physical security, data security, professional ethics, etc., implementing training and development, performance management, certification & other initiatives to create an environment of compliance/excellence
- Uphold all compliance standards, including Joint Commission, Department of Labor, HR policies, CBAs, etc.
- Support location emergency response plans in partnership with business leadership
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree; HR , OD or Business concentration preferred
- 12+ years of Human Resources experience and 5+ years of leadership/administration.
- 7+ years of successful business partnership at a Senior Leader/functional level, with demonstrated results in linking HR strategies to the business in areas such as change and transition management
- Working knowledge of multiple Human Resource disciplines including compensation, talent and organizational development, employee relations, diversity, performance management, talent acquisition, etc.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills.
- Work in high collaboration environment across operations and business teams, as well as HR
- Work effectively in a highly changing and dynamic environment, demonstrating ability to learn and adjust quickly, and bring others along when designing or implementing new ideas
- Demonstrated experience managing large, complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Experience operating at both strategic and tactical level
- Proven ability to develop, engage and retain a high performing team
- Excellent interpersonal and partnership skills
- Ability to develop meaningful trusting relationships at all levels within the organization to gain support and achieve results
- Expert level coaching, change management, project management, facilitation, conflict resolution, negotiation, presentation, process development, analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
- Graduate degree
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft
Preferred Certification/Licensing Preferred:
- HR certification preferred
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.